My first "real" attempt

The Gallery is for posting photographs and images of work machined using Cut2D
indycraft

My first "real" attempt

Post by indycraft »

I have had my cnc since January and have used it extensively since May for my foam products.

I am now adding a new product to the line made from wood.

The picture is of a high frequency lens plate. This prototype piece is made of 1/8" poplar. To finish this piece to width I will run through the table saw which will also remove the tabs.

Equipment used.

CNC 9000
Bosch Colt variable speed Palm Router
1/8" straight bit
1/8" roundover bit
Vectric Cut2D
Mach 3

I could not be more pleased with the results
Attachments
Lens Plate2.jpg
Lens Plate.jpg

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello,
Very nice work! What is the overal part size on this item? How did you implement the roundover bit into the Cut2D tool library? Thanks for posting this item and the picutres!
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

indycraft

Post by indycraft »

metalworkz wrote:Hello,
Very nice work! What is the overal part size on this item? How did you implement the roundover bit into the Cut2D tool library? Thanks for posting this item and the picutres!
Thank you.

Each lens assembly consists of 8- 3"x10" lens plates attached at the notches to vertical mounting brackets. Each mounting bracket will have 1/8" dadoes spaced approximately 1/2" apart to accept the lenses. The dadoes will be angled downward at an angle yet to be determined.

I ran the round over pass first around all sides except the back notched side using the .25 end mill selection and defined a diameter of .125. I ran the RO bit on the tool path.

I ran the straight bit pass second with the same bit selection outside of the tool path but at a deeper setting to cut through the piece except at the tabs.

I have an adjustable angle bracket for my router so I will be able to cut the angled dadoes on the cnc on 4" x 24" wood stock. The brackets will be ripped to width on the table saw and cut to finish length on the trim saw. I should be able to get enough brackets for 8-10 lens assemblies from one 4"x24" piece of material.

I wish I could spend the next week getting setup to make these but I can only work on this as time allows.

Bart

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Bart,
Thanks for replying with all the information. I have just started a CNC router build and I was planning on having an angle attachment built into the Z axis also. Tell me does your angle bracket have compound action or does the angle only move in one direction? I was planning on making mine a compound angle attachment but maybe it is more work than it will be worth?
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:

indycraft

Post by indycraft »

metalworkz wrote:Hi Bart,
Thanks for replying with all the information. I have just started a CNC router build and I was planning on having an angle attachment built into the Z axis also. Tell me does your angle bracket have compound action or does the angle only move in one direction? I was planning on making mine a compound angle attachment but maybe it is more work than it will be worth?
Hello Wes,

While this bracket is my design I did not fabricate it nor was it made on my equipment.

It attaches to the tool mount on Z....rotates along X and will cut angled dadoes along Y.

It should work well for the application I intend.

Best Regards,
Bart
Attachments
anglebracket.jpg

indycraft

Post by indycraft »

8 plates. 1 with mistake.

I forgot to change the tool path for the straight bit and ended up with a rabbit along the edge instead of a round over. I went ahead and switched tool paths half way through the part. I will have to make another plate.

I also need to make one plate with out any notches. That plate will go on the top of the vertical mounting brackets.
Attachments
8plates.jpg

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Bart,
Thanks for the information and picture about your angle attachment. It looks like a fairly easy method to implement, yet an effective way to accomplish cutting angles. I am thinking something along this line will work great as and additon to the Z on my current CNC router build. I am working on the linear motion bearing assemblies currently and it will be a while before I get to the Z axis.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:

indycraft

Post by indycraft »

Had some time today and was able to successfully cut some dadoes into the material that will end up as vertical mounts for the lens plates.

These are 1/8" dadoes cut into 3/8" x 5" x 24" poplar. This group will be cut out of the board....cut to length....and ripped to widths of 5/8"
Attachments
Bracket Dado Fit.jpg
Bracket Dadoes.jpg

indycraft

Progress?

Post by indycraft »

2 vertical brackets cut to length and width.

Unfortunately I cut the wrong angles on the ends. Time to call it a day.
Attachments
Ripped Brackets.jpg

indycraft

Test Fit

Post by indycraft »

These joints are quite snug......perhaps too snug.
Attachments
Lens assembly test fit without top or bottom plates

ClaudioG
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ClaudioG »

Nice work. What exactly is a high frequency lens plate?

Cheers,

Claudio

indycraft

Post by indycraft »

ClaudioG wrote:Nice work. What exactly is a high frequency lens plate?

Cheers,

Claudio
Thank you.

A high frequency lens takes the directional sound wave from a high frequency horn and spreads it out. This design is mounted on the front of a speaker cabinet over the opening of the horn driver.

Bart

ClaudioG
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ClaudioG »

Thanks for that Bart.

Would be great to eventually see it together with the horn when complete.

Cheers,

Claudio

indycraft

Progress

Post by indycraft »

Completed prototype lens assembly without sanding
or finish.

I do not have the capability to make the pins as nice or as accurate as they need to be. I was able to get enough made for this prototype though.
Attachments
Lens1.jpg
Lens3.jpg
Lens2.jpg
Pin pockets.
Pin pockets.

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Bart,
The lens assembly looks great! Thanks for sharing the photos and information with us.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines: