Dust Separators

The Gallery is for posting photographs and images of work machined using Cut2D
pro70z28
Vectric Craftsman

Dust Separators

Post by pro70z28 »

Made 2 separators yesterday. One for the Table Saw & Miter Saw. The other for the CNC.
Attachments
cyclone.jpg
7Cyclonr 10.jpg
cyclone 4.jpg
7Cyclonr 11.jpg
7Cyclonr 14.jpg
cyclone 5.jpg

BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Re: Dust Separators

Post by BigC »

I really need to get something like this going especially as I'm still a novice using MDF, before graduating to real wood
Thanks for sharing
Regards
C

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

I'm really impressed. It appears you've done a magnificent job. Could you share your drawings?
Thanks,
Jim

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Great job!

Check out the Thien Cyclone Separator Baffle http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm
John
Maker of Chips

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

highpockets wrote:Great job!

Check out the Thien Cyclone Separator Baffle http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm
I made one of these for my Harbor Freight DC. It works really good.
Steve

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I have the same thing on my HF, I agree, it works great....
John
Maker of Chips

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

ditto on the Thein Baffle (from a reworked 6" HF dust collector)

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

This was my “out of the box” solution. I finally got fed up with the mess from my Harbor Freight dust collector. After I originally got the HF, I replaced the upper bag with this POWERTEC 70001 Dust Collector Bag https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005V ... UTF8&psc=1. It helped quite a bit. As I used it for a couple of years, it became more of a pain. It was always leaking dust and was only passable at capturing dust. It originally was only connected to my CNC. Then I added a drum sander. It handled the intake OK, but the filtering was now marginal.

I decided to make it 2-stage. Option 1 was to make a Thein baffle, and option 2 was "off the shelf". Since this was the middle of November, and I had umpteen Christmas projects due, I decided on Option 2. I didn't have the time to tune a new dust collector, even though it looked like a fun project.

Either way, I had decided on replacing the upper bag with a Wynn Environmental filter. https://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters/
Not my picture, but exactly the same model
Not my picture, but exactly the same model
The Wynn install was really easy, and the performance is great. Lots of info and ideas on their web site.

To match it up, I decided on the Oneida Air Systems - ONEIDA AIR SYSTEMS 4" Super Dust Deputy Deluxe from my local Woodcraft. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/onei ... 3c42000be9 They had one in stock and it seemed to take 'normal' 4-inch dust fittings. The cyclone about the same price everywhere, and available on Amazon.

I am extremely happy with the setup, and time will tell if that changes. I empty the drum about once a week. It has a few inches of wood dust and chips in it. I figure that keeping the dust level as low as possible should work the best. The lower bag barely has a dusting in it, even after 3 weeks. I was unsure if the cyclone would grab much of the dust from the drum sander. It does a great job. I think the long neck on the cyclone helps quite a bit with containing the dust.

The bottom line is that I can now work in the shop with the garage door closed and still breath. Things actually went as planned.... :shock:

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

ditto on the Wynn filter.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

I have a similar setup to gkas with the Oneida Super Dust Genie. Only time I get in trouble is when a planer is used and I don't monitor the waste being collected. It backs in the hose for the cnc until it meets a gate and then is forced to travel to the dust collection bag. My dust collector is a Steel City 1 3/4hp. I also use a Dust Genie on my shop vac and it does a great job as well.