3d mesh pitbull edge lit sign

The Gallery is for posting photographs and images of work machined using Cut2D
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: 3d mesh pitbull edge lit sign

Post by Xxray »

Here is one I did for some MC buddies of mine.
This one is 3/8", and a full 12x12" square. This is the first design that I used one of those miniature controllers talked about above. I like them, on the one hand you don't get quite as many options as the ones with the remotes, and you don't have the convenience of remote control ... But they are small and slim, I stapled it right to the back edge out of sight, and also at least you don't have to worry about losing a remote with these, without which the remote controlled ones are useless. They are about half the price of the remote ones, I may be switching to these controllers.
Attachments
1.JPG
Doug

malgazz
Model of CNC Machine: SelfBuild

Post by malgazz »

Good work, like it very much.
What program are you using to create your mesh designs in.
I have tried to do mesh drawings but cannot get my drawing software to render the images in a mesh format as with your pitbull carvings.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Mesh designs are not my creation, I hunt them down in image searches, and apply vectors to them. Hard to find suitable subjects but they are out there, also a challenge to vectorize them.
Doug

Kym
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built

Post by Kym »

Hello Xxray,
can you tell me when engraving with a diamond drag bit e.g. your Harley Davidson sign...Is it a flat depth engraving?
Is the toolpath created in Pocket Toolpath with a set depth or V-carve/engraving toolpath or other?
Gathering information to give this sort of engraving a go.

Cheers,
Kym

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Hi Kym, no v carve, as most were made with cut 2d. A diamond drag bit would not be capable of v cuts, as spindle power is turned off when they are used, so their uses are limited to etching/engraving, perfect for acrylic applications such as this.
Some are pockets, some are profile, some a mixture of both. The Harley sign is all pocketed, except for the profile line which surrounds the emblem ,,, And I tend to use a shallow depth, .007" or so.
The bit itself is spring loaded and you can adjust the tension, which itself can create a shallower or deeper etch, so there are a few variables which must be considered and tinkered with to get the desired results.
Doug

Kym
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built

Post by Kym »

THANK YOU!

jimwinchell
Model of CNC Machine: Blacklab CNC

Post by jimwinchell »

@Xxray - First of all, I want to compliment you on your work and your willingness to share your knowledge! Second, I have a question regarding your response to Kym below... You mentioned on the Harley sign, that it is all pocketed, yet in the previous sentence you mentioned no vcarve. Can you clarify this? Did you use a v-bit instead of the drag bit on the Harley sign? Going to attempt my first piece this weekend.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Kym, no v carve, as most were made with cut 2d. A diamond drag bit would not be capable of v cuts, as spindle power is turned off when they are used, so their uses are limited to etching/engraving, perfect for acrylic applications such as this.
Some are pockets, some are profile, some a mixture of both. The Harley sign is all pocketed, except for the profile line which surrounds the emblem ,,, And I tend to use a shallow depth, .007" or so.
The bit itself is spring loaded and you can adjust the tension, which itself can create a shallower or deeper etch, so there are a few variables which must be considered and tinkered with to get the desired results.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

jimwinchell wrote:@Xxray - First of all, I want to compliment you on your work and your willingness to share your knowledge! Second, I have a question regarding your response to Kym below... You mentioned on the Harley sign, that it is all pocketed, yet in the previous sentence you mentioned no vcarve. Can you clarify this? Did you use a v-bit instead of the drag bit on the Harley sign? Going to attempt my first piece this weekend.

Thanks,
Jim
[/quote]

A pocket is simply a filled in etch, for instance you could profile or pocket cut the letter O, if its filled in its pocketed, just the outline would be profile.
Same applies to most designs, some don't lend themselves well to pockets, some do, some its a matter of preference. Vcarve is another thing entirely. All work on this thread was made with a diamond drag bit but there is no reason why a vbit cannot be used if thats all you have.
Doug

jimwinchell

Post by jimwinchell »

@Xxray - OK, thanks... that makes sense. One other question I had was how much stepover did you use when doing your pockets? I ordered the diamond drag bit that you recommended in one of your previous posts.

Thanks,
Jim

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I set the drag bit as either an engraving tool in aspire or a v bit, and I pretty much go with the defaults.
There is an option to select diamond drag tool, I don't know why but I am not allowed to select it so have never tried it.
Doug

jimwinchell

Post by jimwinchell »

@Xxray - I received my diamond drag bit and will be testing it out this weekend. I have a 9 year old nephew that is a HUGE Detroit Tiger fan. Would you be willing to share your file that you used to do that? I am running VCarve Pro 7. I'm still trying to get used to the software and the art of cleaning up vectors. I understand if you do not want to share, but I thought it would help me see how you created the toolpaths with the vectors and it would give me a project that I could do relatively quickly to see the results first hand.

Thank you for all the information that you have shared on your edge lit signs.

Cheers,
Jim

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

You can pm me, I would have no problem sharing the dfx if I can dig it up, should be on the hd somewhere.
Doug

jimwinchell

Post by jimwinchell »

@Xxray - I am new to the forum, and when I go to Private Messaging, it says that I am not authorized to send private messages. I'm not sure how to fix that. Could you email me the DXF? My email address is jim [dot] winchell [at] att [dot] net.

Thanks!
Jim

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Some recent projects, including 2 clocks and a Poo design with a lit base
Attachments
IMG_4253.JPG
IMG_4254.JPG
IMG_4256.JPG