Single line font

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Jam Laird

Re: Single line font

Post by Jam Laird »

Good find, but like you said, it would be much better to save the money to put towards an upgrade to V-carve.

I was hoping to find a good useable single line font for Cut2D without paying £100+ for it!

Just a thought, but I think alot of people would like to be able to use a single line font in Cut2D,

Regards

J

dragonfinder1

Post by dragonfinder1 »

I don't think it would out of line to say that you can go to their website and DL one font that will work with Cut2D. I did it and it works. Anyone could do that. That would give you one single line font that will work without node editing.

If this is out of line, the moderators can delete this post.

Dave

mondo50m

Post by mondo50m »

I have found that I can get around the single line font thing by doing the following:

I select the font I want to use and do all of the text on the piece I am using with that font.
After I am done with that (here comes the tedious part), I convert the text to curves (one of the options when you right click on the text).
Next, I click on one letter at a time and go to node edit mode.
Once in node edit mode for the particular letter, I delete the spans that are on the inside of the letter, leaving only the outside of the letter. As an example; on the letter 'O', you would be deleting the innermost circle and leave the outside circle which will become the single line text you are looking for.
I have done over a 100 words, one letter at a time this way. But, IT WORKS!!!!
One of these days, I may make a small video of how to do this. It is not difficult, just very time consuming
I have not done this with fancy text, just the box types like vrinda, helvetica, etc.

The same for a single line cut. Draw a box, go into node edit mode and eliminate three of the spans leaving a single line

Milt

Jam Laird

Post by Jam Laird »

Hi, thanks mondo I will give it a try.

If anyone else has some ideas please let me know, i'm willing to try them all out, after all thats part of the fun.

Can't wait to get the machine connected to the pc and mach3 configured and then start doing some pieces of work.

Regards

J

glenn
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home brew 40x20

Post by glenn »

Bingo J!
You just said it! You already have a fine helvetica built into the wizards of Mach3 that will give you single line text.
This is a free wizard offered by german bravo that I used to use all the time-'till I got v-carve- Give these wizards a try and tell us what you think. :)
Glenn

dragonfinder1

Post by dragonfinder1 »

Mostly what I do is to make the letters big enough to pocket them with an 1/8" cutter. That gives me lots of single line looking fonts. Works for me.

Dave

Jam Laird

Post by Jam Laird »

Cool, thanks guys, you are all legends.

Im really looking forward to trying out all the suggestions, should be about 1 week untill i'm ready to start cutting, I will post my progress and let you all know how I got on with your techniques.

Untill then, keep the ideas coming.

Regards

J

Jam Laird

Post by Jam Laird »

Well, it's been a few months since I first posted this thread and as promised here is an update on how things are going.

First of all, Cut2D has been faultless in it's operation, paired up with Mach 3 the Router hasn't missed a beat.

As regards to the single line font I was after, I found that the best solution was to use a font I downloaded from featurecam as recommended by another member on this forum (many thanks to Paul A) even though I have to node edit every letter, I have become quite quick at doing so and is great as a temporary solution.

The quick upgrade to VCP did not go as planned because after I landed a few jobs it became quite apparent that my table saw was not upto the task and a replacement was needed, fast, but the piggy bank is slowly building back up.

It has been a steep learning curve but a very rewarding one too, my first "finished" pieces turned out great (after a few screw ups) and many valuable lessons have been learned, it's been interesting too as the engraving machine and software I used before was far more simple and did not require me to assign a tool path, plunge rate. feed rate etc. so this was all new to me.

I'm looking forward to many more hours/weeks/years with my vectric software and will be like a kid at xmas when I upgrade to VCP.

J

jpatton
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD Plus

Post by jpatton »

I cant get single line fonts to work in v-carve..Keep getting error messages about ungrouping them and regrouping them? No success with that. The lettering I'm trying to do is a little small..but tt fonts aren't working for my application...Any help greatly appreciated.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

What is that you're doing with the single line text to get those error messages?

jpatton

Post by jpatton »

I've got the text I want in the project..Choose single line text, select the font and when I select the tool and calculate, I get the error message..? The tt fonts don't have any problem loading or calculating...Only when I chose a single line font..

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

With a single line font (1L in the name) you need to use a profile toolpath set to machine on the vector.

jpatton

Post by jpatton »

Thanks Adrian...That helped with the error...Now to see if we can get it carved..Appreciate the help...This is going to be a mothers day gift and I was kinda running out of time..Appreciate it immensely.