Dovetail cutter

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Jon_sparky

Dovetail cutter

Post by Jon_sparky »

Hi,
Is there a way to put in a dovetail cutter for undercutting in Cut2D? If not I will just give the cutting diameter at the 0 point and call it a endmill. What I need to do is have a 10 deg undercut around a pocket. I will draw it seperatly and do one pass with a inside profile. The largest diameter of the cutter will be 0.25 dovetail bit.
Thanks,
Jon

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Re: Dovetail cutter

Post by js11110 »

I believe this has come up before and the answer was no.

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Jon_sparky wrote:Hi,
Is there a way to put in a dovetail cutter for undercutting in Cut2D? If not I will just give the cutting diameter at the 0 point and call it a endmill. What I need to do is have a 10 deg undercut around a pocket. I will draw it seperatly and do one pass with a inside profile. The largest diameter of the cutter will be 0.25 dovetail bit.
Thanks,
Jon
As Jason stated, there are no provisions in the software for a dovetail....But, I use one all the time, I cut a pocket in the backside of wall plaques and then undercut the top edge with a dovetail. Something to hang the nail head on. My profile cut thinks it's a endmill cutting inside the vector. Make sure you start in the middle at depth of the pocket and go to the vector perimeter and then return to the middle before the z raises. You can lead in and out to do this.

knighttoolworks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shobot 48x96

Post by knighttoolworks »

CRFultz wrote:[
As Jason stated, there are no provisions in the software for a dovetail....But, I use one all the time, I cut a pocket in the backside of wall plaques and then undercut the top edge with a dovetail. Something to hang the nail head on. My profile cut thinks it's a endmill cutting inside the vector. Make sure you start in the middle at depth of the pocket and go to the vector perimeter and then return to the middle before the z raises. You can lead in and out to do this.
make your file easier get a bit just for that. ti is really just a t slot bit but smaller. freud makes them. that way no bit changes.

Jon_sparky

Post by Jon_sparky »

Hi,
Thanks for the input. I don't see how a T slot cutter will give me a 10 deg dovetail cut. I did find a 1/4" dovetail, so I will be able to cut the whole pocket with the dovetail cutter in one shot.
Jon

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

Make sure you start in the middle at depth of the pocket and go to the vector perimeter and then return to the middle before the z raises. You can lead in and out to do this.
Is there a lead in/out function I haven't noticed yet, or are you making a trapezoid from a node-edited rectangle, or... ?
CNC: www.bitcarving.com; Hybrid 4x4, RockCliff, Mach3, Vectric Aspire 2 + Wildlife Scenes 1.

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

No lead in / out options in Cut2D.

You will need to draw / node edit the center-line for the toolpath and include the lead portions.
Then toolpath using Profile = On the selected vector

Tony

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

Yep, gotcha. Thanks Tony!
CNC: www.bitcarving.com; Hybrid 4x4, RockCliff, Mach3, Vectric Aspire 2 + Wildlife Scenes 1.

Jon_sparky

Post by Jon_sparky »

Not a problem, I made the pocket a little longer, so the exit will be in the waste material area. The shape of the pocket, lends itself to be cut from the center outward. I just got the English Sycamore and the 1/4" dovetail today, worked great!
Jon