End job at view position - Feature request (resolved)

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
jaspinall
Vectric Craftsman

End job at view position - Feature request (resolved)

Post by jaspinall »

Could we please, pretty please, with cream and cherries on top, have a check box alongside the "output toolpaths" button, an option to send the machine to it's "view posistion" at the end of a job?

I understand it's easy enough to modify the PP files and add the command to the footer, however, I'd really like to see this as a per-job option. Machining parts on my Roland MDX-540, I continually have to wind the y-axis out to get at my job *after* the machine comes out of it's enforced BUSY state at the end of the job, which takes 30 seconds. I'd much prefer to use that time looking at the part on the table at the front of the machine, than twiddling my thumbs...

Anyone else want/need this?

Thanks for listening :)
Last edited by jaspinall on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Aspinall

jaspinall
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Feature request

Post by jaspinall »

Also, as a second feature request from me, could we also get some more grip/control points as selectable origins on the Set Size anchors? Currently we have them in the centre as well as NW,NE,SW & SE points. It would be extremely help to see them at N,S, E & W point too, save using any of the existing controls then having to move the object later.
Jason Aspinall

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

Jason,

I have a stupid question.

Can you program a zero-depth tool maneuver at, for example, Y-30 to get your axis to move automatically at the end of the job, or is the tool automatically moving to "Home" after each job, which brings up the option of maybe setting Home for each job to Y-30?

Allen
CNC: www.bitcarving.com; Hybrid 4x4, RockCliff, Mach3, Vectric Aspire 2 + Wildlife Scenes 1.

jaspinall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jaspinall »

Maybe so, yes. Far easier to execute the "move to view" command at the end however ;)

What you're suggesting is adding pretend elements each and every job that goes through cut2d (and in my position as cad engineer here, that's an awful lot of prototyping jobs I tell thee) which is a major PITA.
Last edited by jaspinall on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Aspinall

John S
Vectric Craftsman

Post by John S »

It's already in.

Try putting a position in the home boxes in Setup Material on the toolpath page that is clear of the work.
When the job is cut it will bugger off home and be clear of the work.

John S.
John S.
Nottingham England.

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

Agreed Jason. PITA and PITY.

I haven't pored through the G-Code that's generated by Cut2D to find out, but I'm wondering if it uses absolute coordinates to go to "Home" or if it uses the G-Code command (G28?) Setting Home off the workpiece would be the only other work-around I could think of.

Allen
CNC: www.bitcarving.com; Hybrid 4x4, RockCliff, Mach3, Vectric Aspire 2 + Wildlife Scenes 1.

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

Oops, looks like John S. got to you between screen refreshes.

I was too busy watching my stocks (continue to) dig a hole today to refresh the forum screen! :shock:

jaspinall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jaspinall »

John S wrote:It's already in.

Try putting a position in the home boxes in Setup Material on the toolpath page that is clear of the work.

John S.
Home boxes in setup material?!?!

I can specify width, height, thickness, zero (top/bottom), xy original (point around a square), use an offset original (with x,y dims), center vectors in material, and finally specify metric or imperial. Can't see a home position :cry:

When I create new jobs, I specify the material size, zero from top face, xy origin position in centre, use origin offset of 0,0, with metric dims, that's it.

I'm also using Cut2D 1.100 (Software OpenGL <spit>), Built 13th March 2008.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong? :oops:
Jason Aspinall

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

LionLabs wrote:

John S.

I can specify width, height, thickness, zero (top/bottom), xy original (point around a square), use an offset original (with x,y dims), center vectors in material, and finally specify metric or imperial. Can't see a home position :cry:

When I create new jobs, I specify the material size, zero from top face, xy origin position in centre, use origin offset of 0,0, with metric dims, that's it.

I can't answer your question with regards to a Roland, but, I would think that a go home or Zero axis should be there some where. In Mach I just click Reference and the z goes up and the x and y go to the back left corner. Other then being in the PP of a Vectric product, I can't think of a way to move everything out of the way because every machine would be different.
Modifying the PP is a fairly simple task to include commands that would be present no matter what job you run. Mine has commands to shut down the spindle when the job is complete but it had to be added into the PP file and then saved into the Post directory. I believe any text editor can modify a PP file.

Chuck

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

It's not in the "Material Size" dialog, but in the "Material Setup" dialog... (You're thinking about "Material Size" which is accessed from the Edit menu, but you want the "Material Setup" dialog that is accessed by clicking the "Setup Material" button (the top and leftmost button that looks like the corner of a board) that appears on the Toolpaths pane.)

Select a toolpath, say the last one to be cut in your job. Click the "Setup Material" button. You'll get a small dialog that shows the thickness of the material, the zero position (top or bottom of the material), the rapid clearance gap, and then the X,Y,Z of the home position.

I'll have to hit the user manual again to explain it any further than that. :)
Attachments
Setup Material.jpg
Setup Material.jpg (6.98 KiB) Viewed 3076 times

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

I never used that before...... :roll: :)

I'll have to give that a try...

Wait a minute...wouldn't that be home in relation to your model being cut?
Attachments
Capture.JPG

John S
Vectric Craftsman

Post by John S »

LionLabs wrote:

John S.

Not the drawing side but the right hand tool path side.

Setup box, top left is highlighted.

This is where you can put your home position that's machine related.

John S.
John S.
Nottingham England.

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

I'm going to have to go give this a try. I guess I'm not understanding how the machine will automatically know where home will be unless you tell it. If I import a G Code file and zero my axis at my home position (home can be anywhere on the machine) then how will the machine know to move out away from the work piece? Won't it just go to the home position that you previously gave it? I'm confused.

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

Per the online help:

Home Position - This is the absolute position that the tool will start moving from and where the tool can be programmed to return to at the end of cutting the job.

Now, where did you get the Model parameters??? I don't have anything like that on my screen... You must be importing 3D models from Cut3D, PhotoVCarve or Vector Art?

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

tamathumper wrote:Per the online help:

Home Position - This is the absolute position that the tool will start moving from and where the tool can be programmed to return to at the end of cutting the job.

Now, where did you get the Model parameters??? I don't have anything like that on my screen... You must be importing 3D models from Cut3D, PhotoVCarve or Vector Art?
I tried it on my machine, it was simply a position away from where I entered as home. It worked no matter where I started from. I can understand how one would use this on a machine where you always place the material in the same place. I just click reference home and the machine jogs all three axis toward the home position until the Home prox's pick up then it jogs in the opposite direction till it clears them. At that point it is back out of my way.
This movement has nothing to do with the g-code file that may or may not be loaded.

The screen shot I posted is from Aspire.

Chuck