Single line vectors

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Rod-R

Single line vectors

Post by Rod-R »

Am I missing something? I don't find a tool for drawing single line vectors (only circles, elipses, rectangles, etc.). I see that I can import single line vectors, say from a DXF file, but often I want to simply add another vector. Do I need to upgrade from Cut2D to get this capability? Also, how do you draw points when you want to drill holes?

Thanks
Rod at Vevex

mboydraska
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis homebuilt

Post by mboydraska »

The line option is something I would like to see also, but if you would draw a rectangle and add nodes you can manipulate the rectangle to any shape you want. But if you are looking for just one line I can't help much in that department. If you are drilling series of hole the circle is also recognized for drilling.
Is this correct guys?
HAPPY CUTTING
Mike

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

I don't have Cut2d, but in VCP you can draw single lines with the "draw polyline tool".

Jason
Attachments
polyline.JPG
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

As mboy said, for drilling draw a circle. the center point of the circle is the center of the drill hole. The diameter of the circle does not matter.

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Re: Single line vectors

Post by RoutnAbout »

Rod-R wrote:Am I missing something? I don't find a tool for drawing single line vectors (only circles, elipses, rectangles, etc.). I see that I can import single line vectors, say from a DXF file, but often I want to simply add another vector. Do I need to upgrade from Cut2D to get this capability? Also, how do you draw points when you want to drill holes?

Thanks
Hello Rod-R,
Your not missing anything,
Cut2D is basically 2D cam program with limited drawing and editing features.
I don't think Vectric will be adding any new features to Cut2D any time soon.

But there is a work around for drawing lines in Cut2D,
and that is to draw a rectangle and then select the rectangle and delete three sides and you will have a line.
Once you have a line, you can copy it (cntl+c) and paste it (cntl+V) as many times you want....
you then can select that said line and in node mode, you can drag the nodes (press N when line is selected) to where you want the ends.
Also while the line is selected and in node mode..... move your pointer over the line and press the letter I key to insert more nodes.

I know it isn't as handy as a line command, but it will get you want you need.

I will also add that Vcarve Pro has all the drawing tools one needs without having other cad software, once you learn the tools. I've stopped using Autocad, and do everything in Vcarve Pro.

If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

gajeeper

Post by gajeeper »

I've tried to delete the sides of the rectangle and can't do it. How can you do this?

Thanks

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

gajeeper wrote:I've tried to delete the sides of the rectangle and can't do it. How can you do this?

Thanks
Hello and welcome to the forum gajeeper...

Once you have made the rectangle.
Make sure its selected ( highlited \ dotted line)
Then press the letter n (this is the short cut to node mode).
Once in the node mode you will see 4 nodes ( if its a rectangle - one for each corner) the green node is the start point for your toolpath.

To delete a line - place pointer over the line then press the d key.
To deleted a node point - place pointer over the node and press d key.
To insert a node point - place pointer over a line and press i.
To change line to arc - place pointer over line and press the a key.
To change the arc to a bezier curve - place pointer over arc OR line and press the b key
To cut line place pointer over line or node and press the c key.

You can also access all of these commands with the context menu by right clicking AFTER the vector is selected and in the node mode
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

Rod-R

Post by Rod-R »

Thanks to Don and the others who responded. Cut2D has done an excellent job for me producing G-code for cutting text, and I like the fact that the user interface is relatively uncluttered and the learning curve has been quick. Importing AI and DXF files has been very straightforward. However, I had to go to other tools to do some simple line drawings (channels for the O-ring foam I use for vacuum jigs).

Regards,
Rod at Vevex