Fonts with uniform-width lines for small signs?

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
jeffmorris

Fonts with uniform-width lines for small signs?

Post by jeffmorris »

I need fonts with uniform-width lines and curves for small signs with text height smaller than 1-1/2 inches. Even the Arial font has variable-width lines and curves such as letters a, b, d, g, h, m, n, etc. The curves are thinner where they join straight lines so the 1/8-inch diameter router bit can't cut all the way around the letter and there are gaps between lines and curves. The black lines in the image show where the lines and curves are thinner in the letter "a".
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (4.86 KiB) Viewed 2694 times

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

You could set font to single line font, and cut using profile, On .... I think this should work fine . you could try google single line fonts to find more to add to the fonts file (C:\WINDOWS\Fonts)

this won't necessarily give you equal width but will enable you to cut with 1/8th inch bit .

good luck hope this helps ... Just noticed this is in Cut2d .. I do not know if it has these options :) This is how I would do it with VCP , hopefully you can do the same ...
Attachments
single line font.jpg

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello Jeff,
I think you will have a hard time finding a perfect fit with fonts, and I find I usually have to do some editing to make them workable. Even using double line fonts by making them into single line fonts can be done but it gets time intensive. I hope you get a reply with a quicker work around or some fonts that solve the problem, but I would think if not you may just have to make the sign layout and do some node editing to enable using the same toolbit on all the letters. If there is a better way someone will post it here, and we will be watching.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

mboydraska
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis homebuilt

Post by mboydraska »

Hello Jeff,

I f you are trying to pocket cut text that is smaller than your bit diameter Cut2D will only cut the part of the text that it will fit into. I have done small signs with text 1 inch tall such as arial font; ended up cutting on the line with a small end mill (0.05") then cleaning what was left by hand. (small chisels and sanding) If you are going smaller and need micro bits I would suggest checking out this site - www.bitsbits.net - they are inexpensive and wide range of sizes and types.

I hope this info helps,
Happy Cutting!
HAPPY CUTTING
Mike

jeffmorris

Post by jeffmorris »

I found out that VCrave Pro allows me to use single line text fonts and that I can use Profile Tool Path to cut out the letters. I'm using the trial version of VCrave Pro. I tried to search the Internet for single line text fonts but most fonts are not free. I don't have $600 for VCrave Pro.

Numbers1

Post by Numbers1 »

Hi All,

Another way to cut inside in small text is to use the offset tool and just offset enough to allow the cutting bit to fit, often it only requires a tiny offset and therefore doesnt alter the shape of the letters or there size that much.
Hope this helps,
Neil

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hello Neil,

When Pocket or Profile machining Cut2D automatically offsets for the selected tool size and angle if using engraving cutters. The software ensures the cutter only machines where the tool can fit, so small cutters are required for small lettering.

Tony

Numbers1

Post by Numbers1 »

Hi Tony,

We mainly do profile cutting all the way through and mainly in alloy so we can't really go smaller than 3mm or 1/8 inch diameter profile tools, so rather than node editing each letter in Vcarve we found it quicker just to offset the letters which sometimes only requires a 0.25mm - 0.5mm offset to let the tool fit in.

Just love the Vcarve software though, my wife who is not that computer literate managed to work it out in a matter of hours to be able to give customers quotes with the image generated by Vcarve.

Neil