Possible new customer ;o)

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Possible new customer ;o)

Post by fretsman68 »

Hey there,

My first post here as I'm seriously looking over Cut 2D but wanted to ask if there's a grid option anywhere that I might be missing? It seems it would be most helpful in locating multiple parts in the material to get the spacing just right for cutter clearance and lining up parts.

The measuring tool is a nice feature and can help with this but a variable sized grid would be very fast.

Thanks so much for your time- :wink:
Dave

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello Dave,
There is no grid option in Cut2D so I think you will have to create the grid at the CAD stage or you could probably copy and paste but it would not be as fast as using a grid option. If you start with Cut2D you could always upgrade to VCarvePro which has an option to "Copy vectors in a linear or circular array" if the need for that option is great enough. Other wise you may want to start with VCarvePro instead to have that option available.
I started with Cut2D and have had great results with my 2D machining from it, but have recently upgraded to VCarvePro to gain all the extra options available in the VCarvePro package. Starting with Cut2D is probably the most cost effective way to get started with 2D machining etc. at that price and the software is so user friendly I think anyone would feel comfortable working with it.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

Thanks, Wes, appreciate the info. At the moment I'm using LazyCam Pro which is "ok" but it seems that Cut2D is so much nicer and user friendly so far. I'm getting to the point where I'd like a better CAM program but VCarve is really out of my reach at this point.

As for the grid, yes, I could absolutely do that in CAD. It was just a thought as I have some single parts already drawn up that I'd like to cut multiple quantities of at the moment so that would have saved me a step, but not really an issue. Just thought I might have missed it in the software.

I'll keep reading through the forum for more answers to my questions but thanks again-
Dave

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Dave,
I have done multiple parts with Cut2D using the 'copy and paste' method and it did work very good and was easily done. All of the parts I did like this were multiples of the same part and the spacing was not critical. I used this option both prior to the addition of 'Tabs' and after and find the addition of tabs really helps facilitate machining multiples while keeping everything attached to the blank.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

Agreed! Love the ease of applying the tabs as well, very nice feature - :D

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

There is a full grid feature, with snap functions in VCarve Pro. If you can work without the grid for a while you should get Cut2D, its a fantastic program...in fact, all the Vectric products are fantastic programs! You won't be sorry with Cut2D. :D Welcome to the Club!! :D
Attachments
Grid Settings in VCarve Pro NOT available in Cut2D!
Grid Settings in VCarve Pro NOT available in Cut2D!