new kid on the block

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
leptronjohn

new kid on the block

Post by leptronjohn »

ok, i am not a kid by any means, you know gray wrinkled, slow.... you have the picture.
I recieved my new k2 kg-2525 and mach 3 along with my Vectric 2d.
Problem... it seems that every time i install the g code from Vectric the mach changes the mpg values. it runs the proper settings like one inch is one inch then as i load the g code it changes to so :? mething like a meter and everything runs off the board. if i use my lazy cam it installs ok.

any ideal for me?
john
the world is made of carbon fiber

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: new kid on the block

Post by metalworkz »

leptronjohn wrote:ok, i am not a kid by any means, you know gray wrinkled, slow.... you have the picture.
I recieved my new k2 kg-2525 and mach 3 along with my Vectric 2d.
Problem... it seems that every time i install the g code from Vectric the mach changes the mpg values. it runs the proper settings like one inch is one inch then as i load the g code it changes to so :? mething like a meter and everything runs off the board. if i use my lazy cam it installs ok.

any ideal for me?
Hi John,
It sounds like you may need to change the settings in Mach3 for the IJ mode in the Startup Modals section. Does the image displayed in Mach3 show large circles where there should be radius's or arcs? If so this is a dead giveaway for the IJ Mode interpretation from the CAM to your controller not being set to the same type. You can find this setting
in Mach3 by clicking the 'Config' tab on the toolbar at the top, then click 'General Config', then in the 'Startup Modals' section you will find the 'IJ Mode' with 2 choices: Absolute or INC(Incremental). Check the other setting if your file does not display correctly in Mach3, and then try loading the same file again. You should see a big difference on the display and hopefully this has fixed the problem. Let us know if this did not help and we will try to get it right.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

leptronjohn

Post by leptronjohn »

Hi Wes,
i went into config and changed the setting as you scribed, and this fixes the circles. i still have problems with the increment settings.
any time i load the g code from vectric my machine changes, if i set the mpg to move 1 tenth of an inch it will move 2.5 inches..
good grief i thought i new everything there was. :-)
john

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Hi John,
It sounds like there may be a unit of measurement inconsistancy between the CAM software and the Controller(Mach3). Check both programs and make sure that both are set to either 'Inches' or 'Metric'. Perhaps the CAM is set to Metric and the Controller is using Inches or vice-versa. I ran into a similar problem when I first started with my machine. I hope this helps get you running!
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:

leptronjohn

Post by leptronjohn »

hi Wes,
where in vectric do i set inches or mm?
i see the setting for the motors but am lost after that..
john
john

leptronjohn

Post by leptronjohn »

wes,
sorry, where in mach 3 do i set mm or inches...
john

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Hi John,
I beleive if you select the Settings Tab along the top toolbar, and then in the bottom right hand corner there is a 'Units Alt-U' button that selects between Inches and Metric when you click the button. As you click the button you will see the units in the DRO dispalyed on the same page will change from Metric to Inches. Of course if it is already set to the units you are using then this will not solve the problem. Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:

leptronjohn

Post by leptronjohn »

wes,
yes it is already in inches. intresting though. i had a troubled program installed and nothing was working untill i set settings to mm then the dro would measure proper inches untill i tried to run the loaded program.

john
john

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Hi John,
Is it working right now or is there still a problem with it? Make sure that the file you are working with in Cut2d has the correct units selected in the 'Material Setup' dialogue view.(Inches or Metric)
There is some good information on the Mach support forum and also interesting articles when you have free time to check it out. Also in the documentation area there are some .pdf files that may be of some help and also some tutorials on several subjects related to Mach3 and it's use:

www.machsupport.com
Last edited by metalworkz on Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:

leptronjohn

Post by leptronjohn »

Hi Wes,
no it is not running yet. It is still running away on the vectric input. I did have a fella that told me the profile given my k2 was setting the machine in metric, i have no idea about the code. I will try k2 in the morning to see if they have any insight.
Thanks for your time, i do appreciate it.
john

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Hi John,
Oh, the profile (.xml file for Mach3) for the K2 is setup for metric? I guess at this point you probably want to just get the correct profile for your machine so the problem will be fixed for good. Well they should be able to help you out and have you running in no time. Let us know how it turns out.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:

leptronjohn

Post by leptronjohn »

wes,
you are very right, the profile for the machine is set to metric. i will bug them on monday. i went into the mach setting and changed to inch and this seems to make the cuts i need so bad. probably not the best way to set it but it is working for today.

thank you very much for the help.

john
john

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Hello John,
Were you able to get a working profile for your machine? Just wondering if you made any progress with it.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines: