Exclusion zones

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
jaspinall
Vectric Craftsman

Exclusion zones

Post by jaspinall »

What would be really really *really* nice in Cut2D would be the ability to tell the s/w about no-go zones, as part of the material setup.

Why?

Well.. I run an MDX-540 from Roland and some time ago, I machined a chunk of Acetal to replace the original machine table, to be used as a multipart nest for machining some ABS cases. However, as part of this new jig, I have a whacking big piece of tool steel running the entire centreline, held in place by 5 M8 socket head screws. To make matters worse, I have 20 toggle clamps around the perimeter of the jig to hold said cases in situ while the cases are being machined.

Now, all machinging takes places with a 2mm carbide slot drill, quite fragile to be ripping around the jig to then smack into either this tool steel or the toggle clamps.

What I would *love* would be a means of specifying areas in the material setup which has a minimum fly-over height, a positive value above the material z-datum.

I'll take some photos of my setup in a bit and attach to this thread to illustrate my idea.
Jason Aspinall

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hello Jason,

Interesting idea that has been requested in the past by VCarve Pro users.

It sounds like your machining requirements are getting quite specific and require control and flexibility that is unlikely to to be added to Cut2D. Please remember that the aim of Cut2D (at $149 / £80) is to allow parts to be machined relatively easily by inexperienced CNC machine users.

I would recommend looking for a more flexible industrial level software product that will provide more options for editing and controlling toolpaths.

Tony

jaspinall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jaspinall »

Hmmm, I can't but think adding some sort of no-go zone to Cut2D as being fairly trivial. Would a poll here that garnered enough interest make it a viable proposition for future updates?

This is my custom 10-up table manufactured in Acetal, using the MDX-540:

Clearly you can see the obstacles in my way, I currently work around by setting a crazy rapid clearance gap which works fine, but slows the machining down something chronic.
Jason Aspinall

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I know that some people who have clamps, etc. in standard locations on their table use a template that shows their locations. This makes it a bit easier to visually check for collisions.
Attachments
CT.GIF

jaspinall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jaspinall »

Mmm, I hear what you're saying...

Assuming I setup the workpiece within the boundary of the clamps, they shouldn't pose much of a problem really - that said, the metal bar and screw heads across the middle could end up costing me a lot of money in dead slot drills!

What I might end up doing as a workaround is creating two discrete jobs. One to mill the 5 cases on the upside, and the other to mill the 5 cases on the downside - setting the origins accordingly. Bit of a pain to do, in what really is a great bit of software :)
Jason Aspinall

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello Jason,
It looks like you could possibly modify your fixture to use a flat bar (2"-3" width) along the ends where the clamps are holding the parts and this would move the clamps out farther from the machining area? Maybe a different way to clamp the parts so that the clamps do not protrude so high also? You may end up saving some time per cycle also by decreasing unnecessary Z movements. I hope you find a a good work-around for the situation.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake