"Duplicate Toolpath" is it GOLD or Poop???

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
lward1988
Model of CNC Machine: laguna swift 4x8

"Duplicate Toolpath" is it GOLD or Poop???

Post by lward1988 »

I'd love to be able to take a part that has the tool paths all done and then copy to the other 19 pieces that share the same toolpaths. I've tried googling it, as well as searching in this forum without much luck. I think the software "duplicates" the toolpath to everything on the board that "isn't" already toothpathed correct? Just curious as it would take 1+hr program builds to only a few minutes!!! Essentially this is why I haven't used the below answer is because if I just copy and paste, then I have the machine moving from one part to the next, doing a lip, then it comes back and moves to make lip bigger until it gets to the cutout and that's a lot of moving for the machine. I've been building programs to use 1/8" bit (no i'm not interested in a larger size) and then I make a 3/8" lip for a door to set on. This means the machine needs to make 4 passed, 3 for the lip, the fourth for the cutout of the center piece. I want to be able to copy one part and paste the tooling paths to the other 19 parts on the sheet without doing them all INDIVIDUALLY!!! Thanks! Leland
Last edited by lward1988 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lward1988

Re: "Duplicate Toolpath" is it GOLD or Poop???

Post by lward1988 »

"
How can I make copies of a toolpath to cut multiple versions of the same part?

Once you have setup a toolpath on one of the parts, double click on the toolpath name to open it for editing. Then select all the identical parts you want to toolpath and recalculate the toolpath.

Additionally, some control systems allow a single toolpath to be cut multiple times. This is totally a function of the control system and you would need to contact your machine's manufacturer or control system's developer for specific information.
"
This is the information i've found, just haven't succeeded with it yet. lol

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you have the Pro version of Cut2D then you can do it via toolpath templates/automatic vector association and merge toolpaths depending on your exact requirements. The Array Copy toolpath feature might work for you as well.

Personally I do it via the former route. I have between 2 and 5 toolpaths that I run on every piece. The toolpaths are associated with the layers via that part of the toolpath. I press the recalculate all button which creates all the toolpaths. I then use the Merge toolpaths to create a single toolpath, because I use the Merge By Part option when doing that every toolpath is run on the part before it moves onto the next one. With V10 it gets even easier as Merged toolpaths can now be automatically recalculated so the Merge only needs to be done once.

The information you're quoting might be from before those features were available (they have for some time now) as the only way to do it used to be via the control software.

As always the tutorials are your friend as it's all shown there.

lward1988

Post by lward1988 »

Adrian: I appreciate your information! I feel like it went way over my head as I've not found this "merge" toolpath. I do in fact have the 2dPro...so far learning it hasn't been too bad at all, but I definitely don't think the "duplicate toolpath" is labeled correctly for what it does. I tried everything I could think of to make it work as I thought it was intended. Anyway to show a demonstration on what you are speaking? I'd love to see it!

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Ilward,
Maybe this will help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... hRPlPwY-ZM
I used to draw and toolpath ONE button Completely, and separate components on layers as I drew them. and "Associate" that layer with the toolpath.
When one item was COMPLETELY done, then it's easy to copy array/nest, and then simply Recalculate all toolpaths.
Hope this helps.

I use duplicate toolpath all the time, but usually only change a bit for comparison....Think you're misunderstanding the use....It's VERY useful.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

lward1988 wrote:Adrian: I appreciate your information! I feel like it went way over my head as I've not found this "merge" toolpath. I do in fact have the 2dPro...so far learning it hasn't been too bad at all, but I definitely don't think the "duplicate toolpath" is labeled correctly for what it does. I tried everything I could think of to make it work as I thought it was intended. Anyway to show a demonstration on what you are speaking? I'd love to see it!
Here's a couple of example files. One is for version 9 and one for version 10 as the merged toolpaths is slightly different. You can see how each of the three toolpaths is setup to be automatically associated with the relevant vectors and how each part can be cut in it's entirety with the merged toolpath.

The duplicate toolpath is labelled correctly. The tool you're thinking of is the array copy toolpath. For this simple example you could also have done it with the array copy toolpath tool as well.

It would be worth watching this video as well - https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... _Toolpaths
Attachments
merge example.zip
(868.36 KiB) Downloaded 119 times