filets

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
rhino cues
Model of CNC Machine: home built, Hitachi router

filets

Post by rhino cues »

Could someone suggest the correct tutorial, in Cut2D desktop, to learn more about how to use filets in a 2d inlay and pocket drawing?

I am new to the program but learning how to produce inlays for pool cues.

thanks,

Charlie

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: filets

Post by gkas »

If you're new to the program, I would work my way through the tutorials from start to finish. Don't cherry pick. You'll miss a lot if you skip around. Actually work through them with Cut2D up and running as you watch. Lots and lots of fantastic information. I'm not sure which covers fillets, maybe a few.

The F1 HELP has a great description of what the function does, with examples.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Totally agree that you need to work through all the tutorials and read the documentation when necessary. Fillets are not needed for the inlay toolpaths. They are automatically added by the toolpath itself. With the fillet tool (if you want to do the inlays manually) I don't think there is a specific tutorial that covers it as it's a simple tool. Better to use the Help Contents to learn about that.

rhino cues

Post by rhino cues »

I have watched a number of the vids. I am trying to make a diamond inlay that has slits coming in at an angle on the4 sides of the diamond. This would make the big diamond look like four small diamonds. The slits are wider than the tool used to make the cut. When I preview it after setting up tool path, the tool does not go all the way to the end of the cut and the preview shows the cut to be rounded on one side and square on the other side of that slot cut.

I thought perhaps, like other programs, I would need a filet on the "square" side of the cut.

I will look at the drawing again for flaws.

rhino cues

Post by rhino cues »

Perhaps I've discovered a solution. I went back to the drawing, erased the auto-inlay tool paths and then set tool paths separately.

When I set the tool path for the inlay "on the line" instead of "outside the line", the tool path shows a cut all through the slots in the diamond. I've allotted a .002 clearance on the pocket and now need to test cut to check fit.