Spoil board

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
helensdad
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Oozenest Ox 500 x 750/Openbuilds Minimil

Spoil board

Post by helensdad »

Hi and thanks for letting me join the forum. I have just built my first CNC router, an Ooznest Ox 500mm x 750mm bed size. I have a working area of 325mm (X) x 525mm (Y). I bought Cut 2 D to get me going. For my first job I need to make a spoilboard with a matrix of holes for knock in threaded inserts, and a tool path to surface the working area. Try as I mignt I cannot get a matrix of circles drawn and I cannot find a tutorial to show me how. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I am itching to have a go at making something but can't proceed without a spoilboard...

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Spoil board

Post by gkas »

I'm not sure if Cut2D has the 'Array Copy' function, but that is what I would normally use. You place one shape, the tell Array Copy to make a X by Y array copy of them; i.e. draw a 0.25" circle, them tell Array Copy to make a 3x5 array of those circles, spaced however you want.

Another option is to turn Grid Snapping ON, and set your grid size to the spacing you want. Now, whenever you hover and get close to one of the grid crosses, the cursor will snap to it. Now click to place your circle.

The Array Copy is by far the easiest method, but someone who knows more than I about Cut2D will have to chime in.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Cut2D does have the array copy tool (2nd icon under Offset and Layout). That's definitely the easiest way to do it.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Perhaps I missed something... but when I shave level my spoil board, I use the pocket tool path... Why is using the array better? I also shave level some board pieces that seem out of level when I need accuracy. Again, I use the pocket tool path.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

ezurick wrote:Perhaps I missed something... but when I shave level my spoil board, I use the pocket tool path... Why is using the array better? I also shave level some board pieces that seem out of level when I need accuracy. Again, I use the pocket tool path.
He was asking about creating a matrix of circles for the ultimate aim of threaded inserts in the spoilboard and saying that was the part he was struggling with not the levelling of it.

helensdad
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Oozenest Ox 500 x 750/Openbuilds Minimil

Post by helensdad »

Many thanks for all your help, cracked it now with the array tool. Once my machine is behaving it's self I am good to go.... :)

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Adrian wrote:
ezurick wrote:Perhaps I missed something... but when I shave level my spoil board, I use the pocket tool path... Why is using the array better? I also shave level some board pieces that seem out of level when I need accuracy. Again, I use the pocket tool path.
He was asking about creating a matrix of circles for the ultimate aim of threaded inserts in the spoilboard and saying that was the part he was struggling with not the levelling of it.
Ok... I had to re-read the original post... he was asking about the array for the circles, not the shaving of the spoil board. Sorry and thanks for clarifying...

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

The only comment I have is that I tried those knock in threaded inserts a long time ago.

That was a complete failure.

Even with the DC running the things filled up with chips, and then there was the issue of always having to find either a bolt the right length or a clamp that was the right thickness. The issue is bottoming out of the screw.

It LOOKS like a good idea, even makes sense. It is common to see it on industrial machines in machine shops. But T slots work much better.

If anyone wants to try the threaded inserts contact me, I will happily give you my bag of about 100 for free.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns