Z-0

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
berrows@comcast.net
Model of CNC Machine: probotix fireball 90

Z-0

Post by berrows@comcast.net »

Is anyone else out there having trouble getting 2d to zero at the point you want on your material. I don't know what I'm missing here but it is frustrating having to calculate where the last project cut was so you can hopefully adjust your work material to have it land where you want! Help is needed here.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Z-0

Post by Adrian »

Not sure I follow the problem you're having. Setting the z-zero is really a function of your machine/control software rather than anything to do with Cut2D.

Could you explain the issue in a bit more detail?

berrows@comcast.net

Ok, every time I create something and go thru the process, datum position, everything and then to set up my machine, that's where the problem lies. My home position is bottom left. So, I mark my z zero spot close to the bottom left hand part of my material. I use Mach 3 as my PP and all works well. In 2d I always click the bottom left datum point when ready for pocket or profile cutting. However, when I get to my machine and mark my bottom left corner for z zero start, after zeroing, hit go and the machine will go to the middle or top or wherever to start but where I zeroed it to start, does that make any sense? Every time without fail. So there's no way to use any small dimensional wood or anything. I have been using 12x12x1/4" mdf to use as practice. It has gone to the top and middle not to my start point...frustration.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

berrows@comcast.net wrote:Ok, every time I create something and go thru the process, datum position, everything and then to set up my machine, that's where the problem lies. My home position is bottom left. So, I mark my z zero spot close to the bottom left hand part of my material. I use Mach 3 as my PP and all works well. In 2d I always click the bottom left datum point when ready for pocket or profile cutting. However, when I get to my machine and mark my bottom left corner for z zero start, after zeroing, hit go and the machine will go to the middle or top or wherever to start but where I zeroed it to start, does that make any sense? Every time without fail. So there's no way to use any small dimensional wood or anything. I have been using 12x12x1/4" mdf to use as practice. It has gone to the top and middle not to my start point...frustration.
I cannot follow that. I know it is clear to you, but it's not coming over clearly at all.

can we start here ----> Ok, every time I create something and go thru the process, datum position, everything <----

Honestly, that is not really much information.

First --- in cut 2D - did you set the lower left corner as the X-Y zero position, and in cut 2D where did you set the Z position - top of material or bottom of material?

Try not to be frustrated, lets just go slow and step by step go through this.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMMaster Stinger II

Post by davemartin88 »

Once you have your material located and secured to the bed of your CNC, are you setting your X0Y0 in the controller to match the point you set when you designed the project. The two need to match to get predictable results. Sorry if I misunderstood what you are asking. You mentioned you were setting your Z0 start point but not the XY? Good luck.

davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMMaster Stinger II

Post by davemartin88 »

davemartin88 wrote:Once you have your material located and secured to the bed of your CNC, are you setting your X0Y0 in the controller to match the point you set when you designed the project? The two need to match to get predictable results. Sorry if I misunderstood what you are asking. You mentioned you were setting your Z0 start point but not the XY? Good luck.

berrows@comcast.net

Hopefully this will make it clear. Step1; clamp material on cnc bed anywhere. #2; I always mark my x-y point with a pencil, near the bottom left corner of the work piece. #3; I start up the router then hit the cut button, the machine will always use my mark as the boundary for X and Y for cutting the project, otherwise you can't cut precisely in any spot that you designate. Now, Cut2d never starts from my x-y point, thus never being able to precisely cut where I need to. I do a lot of text and image cutting and most of it is putting text/images together but it has to be precise. The closest I can get with 2d is about 3/4 of an inch or more from my x-y. I have no idea why it will not recognize my start point. And yes, I always change the 2d datum position to the BOTTOM LEFT. So, can anyone tell me how or why...thanks Doug

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

I am thinking that it will go to the lower left of the job size. If you make the job size say 20x20 and choose lower left, and the item you make is in the center, the machine will use the lower left but go to where the item is in the job size and start cutting. You will have to move your item to the lower left of the job size you created.

Bob

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Does the pencil mark you're using to set your XY zero on the machine have the same XY distances from the nearest vector as the bottom left corner of the defined material in Cut2D does? If not then Cut2D will never move to where you want it.

The XY zero you use on the machine must match exactly where it is defined in Cut2D.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

#3; I start up the router then hit the cut button, the machine will always use my mark as the boundary for X and Y for cutting the project,
How does the machine know where you're pencil mark is? You need to be zeroing the X and Y axis at this point.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com