Big Circles @ starting point

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Perfesser

Big Circles @ starting point

Post by Perfesser »

Hi. -My first post.
I have Mach3 driving a Romaxx HS-1.
I'm trying out Cut2D.
Every demo file seems to have the same problem for me. The text file (generated with the Romaxx post processor), when loaded into Mach3 always shows big circles added to the design. These circles apparently origionate at the tool start point.
This happens no matter which vector I select to cut, on both pockets and profiles.
I have (I think) attached a screen shot of Mach3 which shows the circles. The display SHOULD have just shown a single lightening hole (blue outline on the display) .
Any hints?
Thanks bunches.
Attachments
Why the big circles from the starting point?
Why the big circles from the starting point?
Squeeze the day.

lovebugjunkie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx HS1

Post by lovebugjunkie »

Hi

Use the post processor for Mach2/3 ATC inch or mm.

This happened to me when I first got my HS1.

Perfesser

Post by Perfesser »

Thank you for the reply Lovebugjunkie.
Could you point me towards where I would find: "post processor for Mach2/3 ATC inch" ?

Thanks bunches.
Squeeze the day.

lovebugjunkie
Vectric Wizard

Post by lovebugjunkie »

When you save your tool path it should give you a box with post processors options, select one of the mach's that do not have "ARC" in the name.

george

Perfesser

Post by Perfesser »

Thanks again.
Alas, I was unable to find the Post Processor in that list.
I am using the latest Cut2D demo download from the Vectirc site (the version with "tabs").
Iam guessing that this version does not have those post processors, only the "arc" ones.
Perhaps I should be mailing Vectric?
Squeeze the day.

lovebugjunkie
Vectric Wizard

Post by lovebugjunkie »

Yep support is your best bet. Sorry I thought it was same pp's as the VcarvePro.

Also contact Ron, he may have another option.

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: Big Circles @ starting point

Post by metalworkz »

Perfesser wrote:Hi. -My first post.
I have Mach3 driving a Romaxx HS-1.
I'm trying out Cut2D.
Every demo file seems to have the same problem for me. The text file (generated with the Romaxx post processor), when loaded into Mach3 always shows big circles added to the design. These circles apparently origionate at the tool start point.
This happens no matter which vector I select to cut, on both pockets and profiles.
I have (I think) attached a screen shot of Mach3 which shows the circles. The display SHOULD have just shown a single lightening hole (blue outline on the display) .
Any hints?
Thanks bunches.
In Mach3 there is a setting you can change that will probably fix this situation. Click the 'Config' tab on the main toolbar, then select 'General config', then in the General configurations window you will see the 'Startup Modals' section with an IJ Mode section; there are 2 possible selections via clicking a radio button so if the 'Absolute' is selected then you should click the 'INC'(incremental) button and then click OK to save the new setting and exit this window. Now try reloading your file and it should display correctly on the display. I just got used to changing it when needed as I use several different software programs to generate G-code and it is very easy to do once you know. Hope this helps you out!
Regards,
Wes
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

Perfesser

Post by Perfesser »

Well, that fixed the problem. I'm impressed!
Thank you ever so much.
I just got my Romaxx last week & didn't know the difference between CAD & CAM when it arrived. 5 days later, I can design& cut out simple shapes. It has been a lot of work.

How did you learn all this stuff?

More questions (Please, anybody can feel free to answer):
1. What is an "IJ"?
2. How do I get the"Abnormal Condition" LED to stop flashing on the screen? (it tells me that I have "IJ" selected)
3. When I Jog to Home position (no home switches installed),
then click on "Ref All Home",
the "Abnormal Condition" LED" flashes to
tell me that "Axis are not refed to normal condition".
Can I do something (besides restarting Mach3) to get the LED to stop flashing?

This forum is wonderful. It's like being at a convention all the time!
Thanks.
Squeeze the day.

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

I can answer question number 1. I and J are used to denote arcs in the program when using standard g code. I is the x axis and J is th y axis.

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Perfesser wrote:Well, that fixed the problem. I'm impressed!
Thank you ever so much.
I just got my Romaxx last week & didn't know the difference between CAD & CAM when it arrived. 5 days later, I can design& cut out simple shapes. It has been a lot of work.

How did you learn all this stuff?

More questions (Please, anybody can feel free to answer):
1. What is an "IJ"?
2. How do I get the"Abnormal Condition" LED to stop flashing on the screen? (it tells me that I have "IJ" selected)
3. When I Jog to Home position (no home switches installed),
then click on "Ref All Home",
the "Abnormal Condition" LED" flashes to
tell me that "Axis are not refed to normal condition".
Can I do something (besides restarting Mach3) to get the LED to stop flashing?

This forum is wonderful. It's like being at a convention all the time!
Thanks.
I ran into somewhat the same problem when I first started using Dolphin CAD/CAM and Mach3 for the parts I am making on my Sieg SX3 mill. It left a lasting impression I guess. I then encountered the porblem again when I use Cut2D but just changed the settings in Mach3 and proceeded to cut my parts.
I almost bought a Romaxx but ended up getting the Syil SX3 instead. How do you like the Romaxx? It doesn't have home switches? I usually go to diagnostics page and reference Z, then X and Y axis individually when I first turn the machine on. I don't reference it again unless there is a problem. Once you designate an X0.0 and Y0.0 starting point you can just use the MDI screen to do a G0X0Y0 and it will send the X and Y axis to the starting point(X0.0Y0.0) Make sure the Z is raised (do a G0Z2.0 first or whatever height is good for your setup)
The LED will probably not clear unless you correct the noted problems in the message. As long as I know the error message is not a 'real' problem I basically overlook it. However you should take note of any messages of problems and try to fix anything that is going to cause a problem. An 'abnormal' situation may not always cause a problem and you may be able to work around it, but take time to think the message thru before proceeding.
Regards,
Wes
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:

Perfesser

Post by Perfesser »

Thank you Jason for the I&J G-code info.
That’s very timely, ‘cause I was just reading a G-code article that explained the code commands this morning. Now I can make the connection.

And thanks also Wes. Yes, the Romaxx has no Home switches. The fellow from Romaxx told me that all the parallel port inputs are used up (I have a Manual Pulse Generator on my machine), so I would have to add a second cable. I kinda regret ordering my unit with the MPG. Not only does it use up the inputs, but it is not that useful. After a week, I have found that the keyboard arrow controls are my preferred jogging controls. The MPG is actually cumbersome to use, as it can only control one axis at a time. The keyboard buttons are always there, and they seem to work better (for me) than the mouse or MPG.
I like the Romaxx so far, but then I have no experience with any other CNC router. It is heavy, sturdy, repeatable, and not too pricey. It sure could use a manual though. It came with absolutely nothing –not even instructions on how to get it out of the (very well constructed) box. Good email support from the company.
Thanks again guys.
-Karl
Squeeze the day.

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Perfesser wrote:Thank you Jason for the I&J G-code info.
That’s very timely, ‘cause I was just reading a G-code article that explained the code commands this morning. Now I can make the connection.

And thanks also Wes. Yes, the Romaxx has no Home switches. The fellow from Romaxx told me that all the parallel port inputs are used up (I have a Manual Pulse Generator on my machine), so I would have to add a second cable. I kinda regret ordering my unit with the MPG. Not only does it use up the inputs, but it is not that useful. After a week, I have found that the keyboard arrow controls are my preferred jogging controls. The MPG is actually cumbersome to use, as it can only control one axis at a time. The keyboard buttons are always there, and they seem to work better (for me) than the mouse or MPG.
I like the Romaxx so far, but then I have no experience with any other CNC router. It is heavy, sturdy, repeatable, and not too pricey. It sure could use a manual though. It came with absolutely nothing –not even instructions on how to get it out of the (very well constructed) box. Good email support from the company.
Thanks again guys.
-Karl
Hi Karl,

I find the pop-up control in Mach3 works fine.(Hit the TAB key) I see no reason to add other controls so far.
Attachments
Mach3MPG screenshot
Mach3MPG screenshot
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:

lovebugjunkie
Vectric Wizard

Post by lovebugjunkie »

When I first started with the Romaxx I did not use the MPG much. I use it all the time now. I find it much easier using it to locate the Z axis in a precise location/height than the buttons in Mach3.

I agree with you that the Romaxx is a great machine for the price. It’s built like a tank and very accurate and can move faster than I than I care to run it. And when I do have a question Ron is very quick to respond on the Romaxx forum.

I guess there could be additional documentation but I found the info that Ron emailed was enough to set the machine up and start running. What I needed was a document on Mach3 that gave a good explanation of ALL the options and settings.

Before I bought the Romaxx I was looking for about 3-4 months at plans I found on the net. Even ordered 3 or 4 of them and was not really happy with what I would have ended up with for the money invested. (not to mention 1 or 2 of them was a complete joke)

I almost pushed the button on another unit that had a little bigger cutting area than the Romaxx. I had no idea on what type of forces that can be put on a router so some of them looked pretty nice. Now after running the Romaxx for 3-4 months I am very happy I went with it.

Now I am eyeing Ron’s new WD-1 machine, wondering how I can get it in the garage without the wife noticing.