Mystery holes using the drilling tool

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
algerhart
Model of CNC Machine: None yet

Mystery holes using the drilling tool

Post by algerhart »

upper end panel 31 75.crv
(139 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
A newbie here having trouble figuring out how a few stray holes are getting drilled in my tool paths. I am just now starting out in CNC and have the trial version of Cut2D pro. I have been through about half of the videos and have searched the forum and not found anything remotely like this so I need some help please.

What I am wanting to do is set up a CNC for cutting out cabinet parts. Generic parts mostly like end panels. The problem is that when I generate the tool paths extra drilled holes show up. In the examples attached there are around six extra holes, each in the exact same place it appears, on an end panel that I made separately and loaded, then cloned it to fill the full sheet. Obviously the mistake is in the original end panel and when cloned it carries forward. I tried making a new end panel being very careful with the cloning feature. The new one has that dang hole there too. The weird thing is that the hole shows up in the 3D view and on the tool path. There is nothing to select in the drawing section. The hole appears on all six panels and at the top left panel, around 306 X and 1950 Y.

So I gave up and made an upper end panel. Made the material one mm larger than the actual part, set the system holes ( for shelve pins and hinges), and ran a dado in the back for the cabinet back. The dado tool path looks okay but when you look at the drill tool path there is an extra hole in the middle of the dado.

Any ideas on what is causing this? It doesn't appear possible to click on the rogue holes to delete them.

Appreciate any input.
Attachments
sheet of base end panels.crv
(645 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

algerhart

Re: Mystery holes using the drilling tool

Post by algerhart »

On the other end panel, the extra hole appears in the dado at X 283 and Y 409

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hello,

As you are using a trial version, only you and Vectric can open the file.

Post some screenshots so we better understand your problem. Please explain how you "cloned" the panel and the different steps, as clone is not a vectric command AFAIK.

Did you recalculate the toolpath after the operations you made?
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If it's on the 3D view and toolpath view and there are no vectors at those positions then all it can be is an out of date toolpath. Recalculate all the toolpaths and/or check them off one by one until you see which one is the culprit.

algerhart

Post by algerhart »

problem 1.jpg
problem 1.jpg
Attachments
problem 2.jpg
problem 3.jpg
problem 4.jpg

algerhart

Post by algerhart »

The first picture shows the dado selected and the extra drill vector about the center of the dado vertically.

I think I posted two copies of the first pic.

The third picture shows the 3d view and red drilling tool path. Notice the angle where the tool diverts over to the dado.

The fourth pic shows the dado tool tool path. As does the fifth picture.

algerhart

Post by algerhart »

These two photos are just closeup pics of the same dado with the extra drilled hole.
Attachments
problem 5.jpg
problem 6.jpg

algerhart

Post by algerhart »

Next is the full sheet with six separate identical panels. There is a small waste strip at the top. About the center of each panel is a dang hole drilled that shouldn't be there.

The feature used was "array copy", I was lazy and called it cloning.
Attachments
problem 8.jpg
problem 7.jpg
problem 9.jpg

algerhart

Post by algerhart »

Here is the single panel that I made in another file and imported into the six in one sheet file.

Note the weird tool paths at the top of the picture. When you zoom in nothing is visible in 2d or 3d view.

Obviously the problem is in the original set of vectors, the single panel file.
Attachments
problem 10.jpg
problem 11.jpg

algerhart

Post by algerhart »

problem 12.jpg
problem 13.jpg
I deleted the drill tool path and regenerated it. The top weird holes are gone but that center hole that ought not be there remains.

algerhart

Post by algerhart »

And that error message was generated, five extra vectors.

I did notice that the extra hole has now disappeared in the 2d view but remains in the 3d view.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Use the Vector Validator tool (The blue tick icon) to examine the vectors and then correct/remove any faulty vectors followed by recalculating the toolpaths.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Adrian wrote:Use the Vector Validator tool (The blue tick icon) to examine the vectors and then correct/remove any faulty vectors followed by recalculating the toolpaths.
+1

You also need organizing your work. I noticed you are manually selecting the vectors. See in the manual (Vectric manuals and video tutorials are excellent) how layers can very efficiently used for automatic selection of vectors for toolpaths.

Don't forget to recalculate the toolpaths after you modify your design. You'll also have to regenerate the 3D preview. The 3D toolpath preview is not dynamically linked to the toolpath calculation. Think of it as if you actually machine the part. If you modify a toolpath, you won't see its effects until you run it and if you already run its previous version, this previous cut is still here.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello algerhart,

The drilling toolpath will drill a hole at the center of any closed vector that you select for the toolpath.

The reason that you see a drill hole at the center of your dado rails, is that you have selected
the dado rails along with the circles that you do wish drilled,
You will need to deselect the rectangles from the selection and re-calculate the toolpath.

If you have "mystery" holes off the material, then there are selected vectors at those locations too.

To delete any vectors that you have off the material, type Ctrl + A to select all of the vectors within the job.
(You will see all of the vectors colored magenta).

Hold down the shift key and whilst holding down the left mouse button, drag a box over the material.
(You will see the vectors on the within the box that you drag over the material change color to black,
but any vectors outside the box will remain magenta).

Press the delete button, to delete the vectors that are still selected (magenta).

Re-calculate your toolpath.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Mark wrote:The drilling toolpath will drill a hole at the center of any closed vector that you select for the toolpath.
You mean it works like in the manual? :oops:

As I always had carefully organised vectors in my project, I didn't notice and remembered this one. Thanks Mark!

(as I wrtote, very good documentation…)
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517