Using my CNC out of the box

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Gunny Rogers
Model of CNC Machine: 141001

Using my CNC out of the box

Post by Gunny Rogers »

Can I start using my CNC using the program that came with the machine?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Using my CNC out of the box

Post by Rcnewcomb »

using the program that came with the machine?
What program came with the machine?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Gunny Rogers

Post by Gunny Rogers »

I believe it was Cut2D.

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

This is a super vague question, so you probably won't find much in the way of helpful answers. Since we don't know you, your machine, your level of knowledge in this subject, or any of dozens of other factors, no one can really say if it will work 'out of the box'.
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

Gunny Rogers

Post by Gunny Rogers »

Okay, then let me begin by introducing myself and my machine. I purchased my CNC Piranha about two years ago to aid in my hobby. Since then I have not been able to generate tool paths or to get the machine to function as advertised. To be fair though, I haven't tried as much as that sounds. But now I am at a place in my hobby that it would be a great time saver if I could use it. After going through the material that came with the machine I got the impression that by using and playing with the sample program that I could design a simple project and had closed tool paths that I could install it into the machine, after doing so the machine did not do anything. As I started studying into the Vectric website I ran across the term "G-code" and as I dug deeper into the samples, videos, instructions, and this forum I realized that I had very little experience in this field and all that I read made me realize that all the CAD programs required me to have a good understanding in all of the other areas of CAD, (Architecture, Mechanical, Electrical), those of which I don't need in my hobby.

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

Gunny, as in Sergeant??

I think you may be over complicating it. You don't need to know everything. The software does a lot of it for you.
You will need to send the G-code to the machine, not any other file, but the software will convert whatever you draw into G-code using a Post Processor. You need to select the correct PP for your machine when you actually save the toolpaths you create.
Try the support videos on the Vectric site.

Semper Fi

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The whole idea of a CAM program like Cut2D is that you don't need to know a thing about gcode.

Try this page to get a base level understanding of the terminology and how the workflow is - http://www.vectric.com/support/introduction-to-cnc.html

Gunny Rogers

Post by Gunny Rogers »

Okay, now that helps. Thanks, I will try both suggestions and see where that leaves me, of course if that doesn't work I will be back on here for more suggestions. Thanks again.

Gunny Rogers

Post by Gunny Rogers »

(Side note: Yes U.S.M.C. Marine Gunnery Sgt served 21 yrs and now learning to deal with all of my free time, hence the hobby)