Warning for too big tool size?

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
CX15
Model of CNC Machine: 6040Z

Warning for too big tool size?

Post by CX15 »

Hi everyone.
Quick question:

When I select a tool size that is too big to accurately cut on the inside of a vector, Cut2D will simply create a toolpath that leaves a bit of material on the inside of the shape.
This is perfectly understandable, but is there a feature somewhere in Cut2D to warn me when the vector will not be cut exactly because of a tool that is too big.

Or perhaps a feature that will display the maximum tool size to accurately cut the selected vector.

Regards

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Warning for too big tool size?

Post by Adrian »

To check where the tool is cutting and where it will fit you can use the Solid preview option. On the toolbar at the top of the screen there is an option to toggle between wireframe and solid. If you toggle to solid then you will get a blueish outline showing all the material that the cutter will remove.

A warning would be overkill IMO as it's not really an error. It's just part of using a round tool.

CX15

Post by CX15 »

Thanks Adrian

I already figured out the bit with the solid preview.
But I'm importing about 300 vectors and with that method I'll have to scrutinise each one separately.
Was hoping for something a bit easier/automatic.

But then again, carefully checking every vector is probably not that bad an idea after all (measure twice, cut once and all that :) )

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Bit confused as too why it's an issue. Are you trying to fit the parts together? You can use the offset tool with the tool radius to ensure that the vectors have no angles that the tool can't fit into.

CX15

Post by CX15 »

The vectors and the parts they represent are fixed in size and shape. (I cannot adjust them to fit a specific tool).
(It's mostly complicated meshing gears)

I prefer to do all the cutting with my favourite 1/4" bit. But a few of the parts have angles that are just too tight and will therefore need a 1/8" bit to cut accurately.
I was hoping for a feature that will alert me to the fact that a specific vector is not suitable for the 1/4" bit and needs something smaller.

As you mentioned, I can do this by zooming into each vector after the path is calculated and checking it manually.
I was just wondering if there's maybe a feature that can alert the user when a path will not be accurately cut with the selected tool.

I fully agree that this is not a bug/error and simply a function of tool size and inside corner angles. But still, a warning/heads-up would be nice ;-)

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

I now understand what you mean. I agree with Adrian, it's not an error so an alert box would not be a good thing as it will pop-up in too many known and expected cases.

Maybe changing the colour of the preview where the tool cannot reach the vector. Could be useful in some cases.

For a feature request, send a mail to Vectric support.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

CX15

Post by CX15 »

Thanks everyone!

Not really a feature request; I was just checking if I did not miss an option somewhere.

Regards