Easy way to set xy position?

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
wwjd
Model of CNC Machine: Solidis CNC

Easy way to set xy position?

Post by wwjd »

A very good day to you all!

As a former user of other Cam software, I was used to the possibility to very quickly set a new x0y0 position by clicking with the mouse on a point on the drawing. (after choosing 'set zero')

I use this often because I have many small parts on one dxf drawing and I want to use every part of the expensive wood.
Also when some work went wrong, I could easily mill one part of the multiple parts again.

This was my workflow:

1. choose a part to mill and set the xy to zero by simply clicking on the lower left of the part. (after choosing 'zet zero')
2. save the file with only 1 toolpath of the part to mill
3. set the router to the point on the wood and zero

Now I have to position the mouse on the part of the drawing and remember the x and y position.
then go to work setup and click on offset and enter the values

It is doable of course but I was spoiled with an easier way. (now I'm spoiled with Cut2D, never looked back :wink: )

But am I overlooking an existing option in Cut2d Desktop to enter the current mouse position in the xy fields instead of remembering them??

thanks!

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Re: Easy way to set xy position?

Post by Mark »

Hello,

No, I am afraid that there is no way to set the X,Y, 0,0 position, in the way that you have mentioned.

Cheers,

Mark.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

When I cut multiple parts in carbon fibre sheet which is very expensive as well I do a similar thing but I use the ability of my control software to repeat a cut at any XY position but using a file with a different XY zero position.

I don't know what control software you use but perhaps you have a similar facility.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

A bit fiddly, but you could get the center coordinates of the part to cut out and enter an offset in XY Datum Setup.
John
Maker of Chips

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Not exactly what you have in mind but I save often cut parts and position as a home position and I can easily zero on that position any time in seconds and start cutting.

For instance I do alot of 10" plexi mirrors, so I index a spot on the board where I will put it there every time, find the center and save that as a home position, so there is no fiddling about when I do another mirror.
[Nothing to do with vectric software btw, all in control wincnc in my case]
Doug

wwjd
Model of CNC Machine: Solidis CNC

Post by wwjd »

Great to have so much knowledge available in this forum!

Thank you all very much, I will look if my control software will mill at a different position than the gcode coordinates.
(I use EdingCNC)

Cheers,
Erik