Save file change

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

Save file change

Post by cusoak »

I downloaded a trial version of Vcarve desktop.
I did a design in Cut2d, when I got ready and saved as I see the icon for v carve in me save window and not the cut 2d.
Is that all right and is that the way it will be when I purchase the up grade to v carve desktop.
Also what happens to the Cut2d program will it still be there or does vcarve right over it,
Will I get 3 copies of vcarve and get to keep my other copien oc cut2d also.
Jeff

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Re: Save file change

Post by LittleGreyMan »

If you upgrade from Cut2D to VCarve, you are not supposed to use Cut2D anymore. You are just allowed to install VCarve in 3 of your computers IIRC.

As Cut2D features are a subset of VCarve, there is no interest in keeping Cut2D.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Cut2D and VCarve share the same file format (CRV) so whichever one is installed last will become the default program for opening those files. All it means is that if you want to load a Cut2D file while you have the trial of VCarve installed you would need to go into Cut2D and load the file from there rather than double clicking on it in Windows. You could also right click on the file and choose Open With from the context menu.

If you upgrade to VCarve then your version of Cut2D would no longer be legal to use as the license is transferred to VCarve so you would delete it which will solve the problem as well. There's no need to have both installed as VCarve does everything Cut2D does and VCarve files are compatible with Cut2D (any VCarve only features are ignored by Cut2D).

The license for VCarve is the same as Cut2D. You can install on upto three computers provided you are the only user. So, for example, a desktop PC in the office/home, a PC/laptop in the workshop and a laptop for travelling.

cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

Post by cusoak »

Thanks .
jeff