Job Size Exceeds Limits

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC770

Job Size Exceeds Limits

Post by kstrauss »

I have a small job using Cut2D Desktop (v9.014), 3x3 inches. Everything was fine and I cut several pieces. I reloaded the .CRV, made a few small tweaks to the toolpaths and tried to save the new toolpaths. It now claims that it is larger than 25x25 inches and must be tiled! Working and failing versions attached. Help!
Attachments
VertexTooBig.crv
(523 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Vertex1works.crv
(530.5 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Job Size Exceeds Limits

Post by adze_cnc »

My VCarve version won't read your file, alas, but I was thinking:

If inches got switched to mm your work would be 76.2x76.2 mm. If that was then re-interpreted as inches but without conversion it would nicely exceed your 25x25 inches.

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kstrauss »

An interesting thought except that when I display Job Setup it still shows 3x3 inches. Also, I NEVER use mm in Cut2D.

AlanAndrews
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ELU860

Post by AlanAndrews »

I loaded your file in to VCarvePro.

No issues with the file.

But the workpiece is set at 3in x 3in.

And you can clearly see that the design exceeds the Left and Right boundaries.

See the attached screenshot.

Either scale down your model to fit inside or increase the workpiece sizing accordingly.
Attachments
JobtooBig.JPG

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

kstrauss,

Could it be that you have stray shapes outside the 25x25 inch envelope that were somehow selected when you did the recalculation?

Is there a way to select all vectors and zoom to extents? That way if your 3x3 area doesn't fill the screen you'd be able to find the strays.

Steven

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kstrauss »

I did some more playing. Changing the overcut distance on the leadin/leadout of the Ahog toolpatch from 0.75 inches to 0.25 inches recreates the failure when starting with the working file which I uploaded.

I don't believe that the toolpath must fit within the job size; I have often cut jobs with toolpaths outside the job size. For example, the working uploaded file has a toolpath perhaps an inch outside the job size and it cuts as expected. Changing the overcut alone creates the failure.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Both versions load into Cut2D Desktop for me without any warning. Making those changes doesn't cause it to fail either.

There used to be an issue where cutting negatively away from 0,0 would cause the issue but that was fixed a few releases ago. I'm running 9.012 though so perhaps something has gone wrong with 9.014.

You could test that by downloading and installing the Cut2D Desktop trial as that is 9.012 rather than 9.014. Both versions can be installed at the same time.

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kstrauss »

Both version LOAD without an issue. The failure message occurs when I try to save all visible toolpaths. I installed the 9.012 trial and get the error when saving toolpaths. If I edit the overcut distance, the working version then gives an error. That is, both 9.012 and 9.014 behave identically.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I'd say it's still related to the same error you raised back in 2015. I thought it had been fixed but maybe not. Increasing the materials size corrects it.

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kstrauss »

I'm not certain that I understand your suggestion. If I manually change the material size to 10x10 inches then my piece is in the bottom left corner of the the 10x10 square. Changing offset merely changes the coordinate system and the object remains in the bottom left with toolpaths off the material. How do I centre a small item in a larger material size?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Move the vectors so the toolpath isn't going negative. That's what's causing the issue. Different ways of doing it but the material size doesn't have to match reality.