Array Copy Toolpaths

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC770

Array Copy Toolpaths

Post by kstrauss »

I have created toolpaths in Cut2d Desktop for a complicated small object. I would like to mill an array (5x5) of them in one setup. I can create duplicate objects using the array copy tool but is there an easy way to also copy the associated toolpaths?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Array Copy Toolpaths

Post by Adrian »

Set one object up with the toolpaths you require and associate the toolpath to the layers on the object using the Vector Selection feature of the toolpaths. Then when you've created your copies you can use the recalculate all button to automatically include all the new copies in the toolpaths.

In the Pro version you have the option to save that setup as a toolpath template but not in Desktop. Also in higher versions of the Vectric software you have the ability to array copy toolpaths as well as vectors but again not in Cut2D desktop.

joswoodgallery
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS96 - ShopSabre Pro

Post by joswoodgallery »

Just an observation...
I believe I found a bug in the "Array Copy Toolpath" command. I recently used the command to array cutting out some circles. I selected the spacing to be gap... thinking that it would array based on the geometry and not based on the tool itself. For example: if a part is 5" in diameter with a .25 end mill cutting to the outside of the part arraying the tool path with a 1" gap. What it did was copy the part 1.25" from each other. Was thinking it would work similar to the "Array Copy" command.

Also tried the same example with a 1.25 end mill cutting to the inside and found a really bad thing... The cut actually overlapped if the gap was set to 1". It actually overlapped by .25" which is the difference between the tool size and the gap selected. In my mind this wasn't right...

Another issue... When writiing out to the post the starting Z height and ending Z height were not observed. Also not good... Deleting the array it then worked correctly in the post.

Not sure if someone from Vectric will respond but was not sure where to start with this...

Thanks, Charlie
Jo's Wood Gallery
http://www.joswoodgallery.com
Charlie
Jo's Wood Gallery
www.joswoodgallery.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I would expect the array toolpath command to work based on the tool settings not geometry otherwise it would just be a duplicate of the array copy tool.

The issue with the Z height has already been reported elsewhere and I know it was being looked into.

joswoodgallery
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS96 - ShopSabre Pro

Post by joswoodgallery »

Not sure that I would agree that it would be a duplicate of the array copy. I think the whole idea behind it is you only have one graphic to edit and then just duplicate the tooling easily. If you change the graphic once it changes all the tool paths easily. I would expect that if use either command or both at the same time you would see the tool path and the graphics line up if array settings are the same on both when using the commands.

Thanks Charlie
Charlie
Jo's Wood Gallery
www.joswoodgallery.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

With Cut2D Desktop I can see that but in Cut2D Pro, VCarve and Aspire with nesting and toolpath templates the distinctions aren't so clear. Personally I never use the array copy toolpaths command (other than when beta testing) because it's inefficient to lay out the parts like that when they can be nested instead and toolpaths automatically recalculated.

Regardless I would expect it to work on the toolpath boundaries and not vector boundaries but that might just be my opinion rather than the way it's supposed to work. It's one of those things that it's down to the operator to check that the parameters they've used make sense using the toolpath preview.

I notice you have a ShopBot. The ShopBot control software has the ability to directly do an array cut of a toolpath file.

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC770

Post by kstrauss »

You mentioned "array copy toolpaths" and Cut2D Desktop. Is that capability available in the desktop version?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

No it's not. Mistake on my part. Life was so much easier when there was one version of each product and they had virtually no overlap. :lol:

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Not sure if someone from Vectric will respond but was not sure where to start with this...
The best way to ensure a repose from Vectric is to send an email to support@vectric.com. This is a user forum, and while the Vectric staff does drop in from time to time, the surest route to get a response from Vectric is to email Support.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop