tapered bit calculations

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Dale Yeager
Model of CNC Machine: Hobby laser engaver & CNC router

tapered bit calculations

Post by Dale Yeager »

When making a design with a tapered bit, and it requires multiple passes, it seems that all of the passes are calculated at the OD of the bit when at it deepest pass. This means, as you go deeper, the last pass on the is cutting material at the full depth of that pass. Is there a way to avoid this other then making multiple toolpaths?

Mark's Wood Chips
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23 with Rotary

Re: tapered bit calculations

Post by Mark's Wood Chips »

If it's a profile tool path, you can apply an offset, positive or negative. If it's a V-carve tool path, you can specify a maximum depth of cut but you may have to apply offsets to your vectors to widen or narrow your lines if that is your intention.

Mark

Dale Yeager

Post by Dale Yeager »

I am trying a pocket path. Imagine a circle pocket that requires 3 passes going .12 deeper each time, each pass has the exact same path, just at different depth. On the second and third pass, the bit is cutting material at the full depth on the OD. Then when you program the same circle with only 1 pass at .12, the OD is the same. The only way I can figure to do this is to program one path at .12, then program a second pocket, but tell it to cut the full depth of 2 passes, and then a third pocket toolpath at the full depth.

Mark's Wood Chips
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23 with Rotary

Post by Mark's Wood Chips »

Dale Yeager wrote:I am trying a pocket path. Imagine a circle pocket that requires 3 passes going .12 deeper each time, each pass has the exact same path, just at different depth. On the second and third pass, the bit is cutting material at the full depth on the OD. Then when you program the same circle with only 1 pass at .12, the OD is the same. The only way I can figure to do this is to program one path at .12, then program a second pocket, but tell it to cut the full depth of 2 passes, and then a third pocket toolpath at the full depth.
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you are asking. If you are cutting a pocket tool path with a tapered bit, the tool path will compensate for the taper, maintaining the circle diameter at the top of the material. Anyone else care to help this gentleman?

Mark

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

You could also make 3 different sized pockets, one for each depth.
But, what is the problem with cutting full depth? You'll get a better edge finish on the side walls with this full depth final pass. And it won't be removing that much material.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Dale....
Since tapered ball nose bits are not the best tools for removing material, why don't you pocket with an endmill and use an allowance, then do a stepped down profile pass with the ball nose?
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I was also going to suggest a straight end mill.

Why do you want to use a tapered cutter to make a pocket?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Dale Yeager

Post by Dale Yeager »

Ok, A little confusion here. The bit I have has a .25 inch flat bottom, with a 30 degree side angle. What I am seeing is that the software does make the correct calculations to determine the bit OD at whatever I set as the full depth. However, this means that the first pass does not cut to the correct OD. Then when the machine goes deeper, the outside pass is being cut at the full depth. My little hobby machine does not like this.

So, as suggested, in my project I program a different toolpath for each depth. Also, to help maintain the clean edge, I set the first toolpaths with a very minor offset of .005 inches. Then let the last pass gets it all, but not as much as if I did it with 1 toolpath.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Sounds like you may want to enter it as a Form Tool?
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.