Cut2D Laser V8.5 Questions

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
JimG
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Seig KX1

Cut2D Laser V8.5 Questions

Post by JimG »

I've just downloaded the new V8.5 and I've got one or two questions since the help file doesn't seem to have been updated to cover the new features.

I assume that "Kerf Width" is the measured width of the laser beam - (needed for the Cut settings?)

What is "Allowance Offset"?

The Cut Inside/Outside/On facility is most welcome and will save having to draw offset cutting lines in the CAD drawing.

Jim.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Cut2D Laser V8.5 Questions

Post by Adrian »

Allowance offset is the amount you want to offset the toolpath by from where it would normally cut. Saves you the hassle of creating a new set of vectors and is usually used for tweaking parts that fit together. Probably not needed much on a laser cutter but it's very handy for a router cutter.

JimG
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Seig KX1

Post by JimG »

Adrian wrote:Allowance offset is the amount you want to offset the toolpath by from where it would normally cut. Saves you the hassle of creating a new set of vectors and is usually used for tweaking parts that fit together. Probably not needed much on a laser cutter but it's very handy for a router cutter.
Adrian,

I thought that the kerf width might have been used to calculate the offset (half of kerf width).

Jim.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

There's no kerf width setting in the standard Cut2D so I'm not sure how it works but it would be nearest to the tool diameter in standard Cut2D so kerf width and allowance offset could still work together. The kerf width would give you the true position of the cut depending on how wide the laser is cutting and then you can offset from there with the allowance offset.

I might be talking garbage but that's how I'd see it working.