Can't find File Import

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Columbo
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 Deluxe

Can't find File Import

Post by Columbo »

I saveded a toolpath file from VA3D_Machinist. I saved it as a .v3m file and I also saved it as a .nc file. I wasn't sure which type Cut2D Desktop needed. I opened Cut2D to import the file and I cannot find any Import in the menu. If I try to use "Open" a file, it does not see the file on the had disk.
I am using a purchased version of Cut2D and not the Trial Version.

Where am I going wrong here?

Thanks.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Re: Can't find File Import

Post by dwilli9013 »

save the file again and pay attention to the path which denotes where the file was saved to. Then go back into your program and navigate to that location.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

You can't import a toolpath file. You can only import vector files. A toolpath file consists of G-Code instructions for cutting and is for the use of your CNC machine.

The files you can import are:DWG, DXF, EPS, AI, PDF, SVG (Vectors) and- BMP, JPG, TIF, GIF (Bitmap images)
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

FixitMike wrote:You can't import a toolpath file. You can only import vector files. A toolpath file consists of G-Code instructions for cutting and is for the use of your CNC machine.

The files you can import are:DWG, DXF, EPS, AI, PDF, SVG (Vectors) and- BMP, JPG, TIF, GIF (Bitmap images)
You forgot the STL file import option Mike. :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Columbo

Post by Columbo »

Thanks dwilli9013.
I know where the file was saved, I just couldn't find the import option in the Cut2D software.

And thanks to FixitMike. Actually, the toolpath file can be saved from VA3D_Machinist as a filename.TP.v3m file and can be imported by Cut2D.

I have now found out where I went wrong. I thought that I just simply opened the Cut2D program and I would find an import option in the menu but apparently you have to open a "New" file and then you can import the toolpath file (.v3m) into Cut2D.

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Cheers

Columbo

Post by Columbo »

I have the file imported into Cut2D and I want to set the output direct to the machine but the checkbox to do so is greyed out. What might cause this?

Thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Are you using a Post Processor that supports direct output? Not all of them do.

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Columbo wrote:I have the file imported into Cut2D and I want to set the output direct to the machine but the checkbox to do so is greyed out. What might cause this?

Thanks
As Adrian says, direct output is only available for a relatively small number of machines where the machine manufacturer supports it. I don't know which G-Code transfer program you are using with the Shapeoko but I'm not aware of any of them which support direct output from Vectric software currently. You will need to save the toolpath files and transfer them to the machine controller.

Brian