Leads

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC770

Leads

Post by kstrauss »

I'm using Cut2D desktop v8.020 which I think is the latest version.

Leads work well for the outside of features but always(?) generate an error for interiors. Even if I request very short leads I get "To avoid gouging one or more leads had to be reduce in length or removed completely." when cutting inside a path. For example, I can't get leads for the interior of a circular cutout. What am I missing?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Leads

Post by Adrian »

Is there enough room inside the shape for the size of the bit and the lead? Is it coming in at a point where the shape is constricted? You could try adjusting the start node on the interior shape.

It's on of those problem were it really needs the actual file to give a 100% answer. Could you post it here?

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kstrauss »

Perhaps I don't understand how things are supposed to work. The attached consists of a 3-inch circle with a toolpath inside using a 0.5-inch bit. If I ask for a circular lead 0.5 long for in/out with a 1-inch radius I get an error but with a smaller radius it works. I had assumed that the radius applied to the centre of the cutter? Is it the radius of the cut instead?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The radius in the Leads section is the radius of the lead-in itself not the tool radius.

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kstrauss »

I guess that makes sense. I assumed that it was the radius of the path of the centre of the cutter. Thanks for the help. Now to try it on metal!