Aluminum Profile cut

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
J&JStoneworks
Model of CNC Machine: Pro 4848

Aluminum Profile cut

Post by J&JStoneworks »

Hello everyone! I was just looking to get some input on feeds and speeds for cutting some aluminum sheet goods for a business sign project. I'm pretty new to CNC and have had my business going for a few months now. As I look to expand my knowledge and experience, this project was brought to me. I have yet to experiment with any metals. Obviously, a slower feed rate is probably what needs to happen. I am just doing basic profile cut outs of individual letters out of 1/8-1/4" aluminum. Any input or good websites to check out to get me going on this?

Thanks
Josh
J&J Stoneworks

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC770

Re: Aluminum Profile cut

Post by kstrauss »

Take a look at HSM advisor (http://hsmadvisor.com/ ) or GWizard (http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizardv1.html)
Both have free demo versions.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What are you going to do with the letters once you have cut them? Reason I am asking is because Aluminium may not be the best substrate for the project. ACM (aluminium composite material) is used a lot in the sign industry in the UK & I am guessing over the pond as well. Comes in a few basic colours but is easily flood coated with vinyl or painted, is cheaper than aluminium sheet but still pretty hard wearing.

Oh meant to say if going with aluminium you want 6061 T6 or higher grade, lower grades are far more difficult to machine as they tend to be very gummy which clogs up your cutters. Single or 2 flute bits are generally best for cutting.

J&JStoneworks
Model of CNC Machine: Pro 4848

Post by J&JStoneworks »

Thanks for the tips! Martin- This is simply going to be single letters cut, coutersunk with even spaced holes and then have aluminum tubing as spacers for the screws to go in to and to be lifted off of the wall then have a wood shadow box around it. I'm not sure why he is stuck on aluminum especially to be painted black when finished, but the customer wants it! Plus I'm always excited to learn/do something new.

-Josh