Is There A Source To Find Bit Vectors of CNC Bits

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
roper
Model of CNC Machine: piranha_1000

Is There A Source To Find Bit Vectors of CNC Bits

Post by roper »

I am new at the CNC process but learning. I am using Cut2d Desktop V 8.017. The computer software has a few pre-loaded cnc bits loaded but obviously there are a lot of bits out there. In one of vector's tutorials it talks about creating a bit vector for adding to your tool base. Just wondering if there is any already created bit vectors (eps, or other formats) that are available to be downloaded, either free or for a price. Or if there are quality images; jpg, bmp etc that are available to be downloaded and saved and then converted using, i.e. inkscape to create the vectors. Thanks, Roger

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Is There A Source To Find Bit Vectors of CNC Bits

Post by Adrian »

Most tool manufacturers have them on their website (the one I use most is here - http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/outline.pdf ) but to be honest most bits used in CNC are the same basic shapes (ball, endmill, v-bit, roundover).

In the Vectric software you can't define an undercut so tool likes slot cutters, keyhole cutters etc can't be setup and you just use an endmill definition instead.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

The tool shapes are pretty easy to create.

I usually measure and create the vector lines

A form shape may be a little challenging depending on your CAD and measuring skills.

An ogee curve takes 10-15 minutes

You cannot do a dovetail

the top cannot be smaller than the bottom.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

sailor10
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built

Post by sailor10 »

Is this still true for the Cut2D desktop v9. In one of the tutorials, I believe it said that form tools could be created, but I am having a heck of a time. Just want a couple of edge designs like round overs and decorative molding edges.http://forum.vectric.com/posting.php?mo ... 18&t=22570#

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

V9 has the same limitations on form tools as previous versions. You cannot create one that forms an undercut.

sailor10
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built

Post by sailor10 »

I updated from v 1.5 to v9, in 1.5 you could not add any form tools. OK, I got a tapered edge to install, thank you for your assistance. Just took some patience to make it happen.