Finish pass

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Jibeji
Model of CNC Machine: CNC 3020

Finish pass

Post by Jibeji »

Hello,
I did not find any way to declare a finish pass in the latest Cut2D version, I guess it is not supported.
I first thought to create more vectors with 0.1mm offset but that will mess the original designs (created with another software then exported to DXF format)

I have also thought to first mill with a 3 mm bit, but declaring a tool of 3.17mm diameter in the software, and to create another single toolpath but with a real 3.17mm bit.
Does it make sense?

Or maybe there is a better way?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Finish pass

Post by Adrian »

Do you have 1.5 or the new Desktop/Pro version?

If it's the latter then it's the Last Pass option you need on the profile toolpath. You have to check the Show advanced toolpath options to see it.

Jibeji

Post by Jibeji »

Hi Adrian,
I am using Cut2D Desktop v8.0.
Thanks for the information regarding the last pass option. However I am not sure to understand the documentation.

Let's say I want to mill a 30 x 30 mm pouch.
If I set the Last Pass Thickness to 0.1 mm, will the real dimensions of the pouch be 30.2 x 30.2 mm? (honestly that's not a big deal, it's just for my comprehension)

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The Last Pass Thickness is how much you want to leave to be cut in the final pass for the depth only. If your material is 20mm thick and you want the last pass to cut through 1mm then you would enter 1mm in there.

The Allowance on the last pass setting is what controls the width and height of the final cut. Everything apart from the final pass will be offset from the vector by the value entered.

Sounds like you might be cutting a pocket rather than a profile cut. In that case the Profile Pass option with the Raster option handles the final clearup of a pocket.

Jibeji

Post by Jibeji »

This is exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks again Adrian.