Engraving a single line

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Jibeji
Model of CNC Machine: CNC 3020

Engraving a single line

Post by Jibeji »

Hello,
I would like to countersink an oblong hole with Cut2D. I’d like to use a V-Bit (larger than the hole diameter) on a single line in the middle of the hole, as shown in the attached picture.
chamfer.png
When I select the single line, I can’t create a toolpath because the line is considered as an “open vector” and is ignored.
Is there a workaround for doing that?
Or if there is a better solution, I will be happy to read your suggestions. :)
JB

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC770

Re: Engraving a single line

Post by kstrauss »

Perhaps I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to chamfer the edge of a previously milled the oblong hole or do you want to make the entire feature in one go?

I have often created a profile tool path ON an open vector without a problem. Did you choose to create a "profile" or a "pocket" tool path?
If you chose "profile" perhaps you can upload the .crv file so that we can see what is going on.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

JB...
You will be able to toolpath a single open vector if you select "Profile ON Vector" You must be selecting another option.

That said, the best way to accomplish your task and have the tool cutting in a way that makes it "happy" is to offset your outer vector inside .020-.030" and perform a directional profile cut in your preferred direction and at a depth that gives you the desired chamfer. Don't forget that few Vbits are true points at the tip.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Jibeji

Post by Jibeji »

Yes, I want to countersink after the oblong hole is milled. I have tried with Profile Toolpath and Pouch.

I am a little bit confused with "Profile ON vector". My software is in French language and I don't find this feature.
Would you please tell me where it is?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Jibeji wrote:Yes, I want to countersink after the oblong hole is milled. I have tried with Profile Toolpath and Pouch.

I am a little bit confused with "Profile ON vector". My software is in French language and I don't find this feature.
Would you please tell me where it is?
It's an option on the Profile toolpath.
Capture.JPG

Jibeji

Post by Jibeji »

That is exactly what I was looking for!
Thank you very much for your help.