RPM Router Speed

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
JMOlshefski
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark II

RPM Router Speed

Post by JMOlshefski »

When watching the Vectric video's I see the software allows for the adjustment of the router RPM speed, I cannot figure out how that works, if I look at the photo of CNC PIRANHA machine looks like router is plugged into wall outlet, or is it plugged into a control box that control speed through varing power?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: RPM Router Speed

Post by Adrian »

It all depends on the control software and hardware in use. Cut2D works with many different machines some of which have spindles with variable frequency drives that often have direct control of speed from the control software.

Machines with routers generally rely on the speed being set by the operator rather than the via the control software although it is possible to buy add-ons that will work with control software such as Mach3.

ed reitler
Model of CNC Machine: piranha

Post by ed reitler »

Hi, I just purchased the Piranha and was surprised that the software does not control the router speed. The Piranha comes with a Bosch Colt router which requires a manual speed adjustment. I don't consider this a big problem since I can still adjust the speed in an attempt to get the optimum router speed and feed rate combination.

Ed

JMOlshefski
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark II

Post by JMOlshefski »

Ed, I saw some of your previous posts and wondering if you could offer some input: I see that you bought the Prinaha,did you get it yet, are you happy with it? I see some response saying it unproven, I keep thing about buy "My second machine first".

ed reitler
Model of CNC Machine: piranha

Post by ed reitler »

Hi, yes I have had it for about a week, but have not made any finished products yet -- trying to get used to the machine and software. However, I did notice one thing. I made some cuts on 1/4 inch thick MDF where I cut 1/8 inch thick with each pass. The edges were not quite smooth, requiring some sanding. Perhaps this is caused by some unwanted instability of the gantry. But I need to do some additional testing before coming to any conclusions.

Ed

pasofino
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router

Post by pasofino »

Harbor Freight sells a speed control for under $15 and it works quite well