General question

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
charliem42
Model of CNC Machine: 6040

General question

Post by charliem42 »

Hello everyone,

I am looking at buying Cut2d as it seems to do everything I need at this point. Is there anyone here using cut2D to cut aluminum parts or anything other than wood? If so how well does it do?

Regards
Charlie

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: General question

Post by IslaWW »

Charlie...
I machine a lot of aluminum using VCPro. IF you look at this comparison you will see that many (most) of the advanced toolpath features of VCPro are not included with Cut2D. In my experience these advanced features are much more important when machining aluminum that wood. Go with VCPro.

COMPARE: http://www.vectric.com/products/compare.html
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC770

Post by kstrauss »

I don't have VCP so I'm unsure exactly what additional capabilities are available; I find the linked comparison rather cryptic. Perhaps IslaWW could elaborate on the features. That said, I've been using Cut2d for about a year to cut aluminum and Delrin on a Tormach PCNC770. The Cut2d toolpaths are often not optimal but it definitely does work. I export a DXF from CAD software and generate the desired toolpaths in Cut2d. There is really little difference between aluminum and other materials but rigidity of your equipment is important. What sort of work do you plan? What CNC machine?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

kstrauss...
I don't quite understand what you mean by cryptic. Along with the general overview on the link, there is also a feature by feature comparison list in PDF form just below the table. Look it over, its pretty clear.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC770

Post by kstrauss »

Cryptic features such as "2 Tool Pocket Machining with advanced Ramping options", "3D Tabs for smoother cutting", "Raised Prism Machining Toolpaths" and "Sharp Internal / External Corners" don't contain nearly enough information for me to know exactly what that feature actually does and whether it would be useful in my work. Also I do work such as "Diamond Drag Marking" using Cut2d which is claimed as a VCP only feature. What additional feature does VCP provide? I suppose that I could download the VCP manual but that is not just looking at the table.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Download the trial version of VCarve Pro at no cost to see what it can do.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.