shapefile import

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
darrylh
Model of CNC Machine: JCUT 6090A/Denford Quatromill

shapefile import

Post by darrylh »

I have recently come to Vectric after using another cadcam. Is there a way to get my old shapefiles into Cut 2d? Hoping I can do so rather than redraw everything.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: shapefile import

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Darryl,

The snip below is from the Cut2D Reference Manual and explains the vector formats that Cut2D can import directly. If the program you were using can export in one of these formats that may be the solution for you.

If you can't export in one of these formats or no longer have access to the software, perhaps there is a 3rd party program that could do a file conversion to one of these formats.

If none of this helps, can you give us some more details on the type of file you are working with.

Tim
Attachments
Cut2D import.JPG

darrylh

Post by darrylh »

thanks Tim,
I found an shp file converter (to dxf) but it will not convert and says it is not a true shp file. This is something specific to the KipwareM software I was using. I no longer use it and am getting to grips with cut 2D.

I have now redrawn the shape in draftsight but when I bring it into 2D and generate the toolpath, some of the arcs are cut on the inside, while others are cut on the outside???
Is there a way to simply move the toolpath to the other side of the line?

Thanks
Darryl

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Is there a way to simply move the toolpath to the other side of the line?
Hi Darryl,

You have two choices for this.

If you look where I've placed the red box in the first snip you will see the options for setting up a Profile toolpath. The Inside/Outside options apply when the selected vector is a closed shape, the Left/Right options apply when the selected vector is open, which is what you have.

One method is to simply select the other toolpath option (Left/Right) and recalculate the toolpath. If you make the toolpath visible by checking the box next to the toolpath name, you can see the toolpath in the 2D view. This is the path the center of the bit will follow and you can visibly see if it is on the side of the vector you want.

Since the left and right sides of an open vector is referenced to the end of the vector that is the start point, the second method involves node editing to change the start point. You would select the vector and use the icon or press N to enter node editing. The green node is the current start point and to change it you would hover the cursor over the black node at the other end of the vector and either press P to make this the start point or right click and select the action circled in the second picture.

If you haven't found them yet, there are some video tutorials on Cut2D found here:

http://www.vectric.com/support/training-material.html

It is also worth the time to go through the FAQ's for Cut2D found here:

http://support.vectric.com/faq

Hopefully this helps.

Tim
Attachments
Cut2D Profile toolpath setup.JPG
Cut2D Make Start Point.JPG

darrylh

Post by darrylh »

Thanks Tim, that's a great help. I have done 3 of the tutorials but then tried to get a drawing done.
I now have the vectors all joined and the toolpath is outside.It looks good to cut now but I have a question:

Is the cut direction fixed or can it be user specified? (defaults appear to be outside profiling is CCW, inside profiling is CW). Or can it be reversed by code edits G41/G42. Great that you can add tabs in Vectric and nest also.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

The Profile and Pocket toolpaths have the option to select Climb or Conventional direction which controls cut direction. If you make the toolpath visible in the 2D view there are arrows that show what the direction of travel will be.

Cut2D does have basic tabs but not nesting. You said you had Cut2D but either you have VCarve Pro or are confusing features between the two programs.

Tim