How to get a scanned image into Cut2D

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
shubing
Model of CNC Machine: Home made CNC router

How to get a scanned image into Cut2D

Post by shubing »

I would like to make a dala horse cut out on my router CNC machine using Cut@D. I plan to cut if from 3/4 inch MDF. I have a jpg drawing of it I made from a scanned image. How would I get this image into a format that could be used in Cut2D? Or is there a way I can draw it in either Cut2D or DraftSight?

Thanks from a newbie

Steve
Attachments
dolla.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: How to get a scanned image into Cut2D

Post by Adrian »

Welcome.

Cut2D doesn't have any bitmap to vector conversion tools like VCarve and Aspire so you would need to use a 3rd party conversion program like Inkscape, Magic Tracer, Vector Magic and many others to go from that picture directly in.

Cut2D can import vector format graphics in EPS/AI/PDF/DWG/DXF format so if you can create the shape in a program and save in one of those formats you can use it.

You could certainly draw it directly in Cut2D. You would need to learn a bit about node editing as it's a bit more "organic" in shape than something you could draw without node editing in Cut2D. Again VCarve/Aspire have drawing tools that would make it easier.

I've attached a converted file for your image so you can experiment with imported vector files.
Attachments
shape.eps
(17.37 KiB) Downloaded 312 times

shubing

Post by shubing »

Adrian

Thank you very much for the quick response and great information. And thanks for doing the conversion for me. I brought it into Cut2D and it worked just perfect. I had spent the better part of today trying to figure out how to do a conversion and you did it in just a few minutes. What program did you use to convert it? I had read V-Carve Pro could do it, but that program is out of my price range for now.

I sure have a lot to learn, and thanks again for your help.

Steve

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I used Aspire but the conversion process in VCarve is identical.

There are some free conversion utilities out there. Inkscape is one although I've only read about it and not used it. A google search for something like "bitmap vector convert" will give you lots of leads.

shubing

Post by shubing »

The file worked just great on my CNC. Thanks again
Attachments
2013-01-15 002 (600x450).jpg

grjensen
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: zenbot

Post by grjensen »

I have been using "Wintopo" (free version) to convert .jpg files.
Open file
Vector - One touch vectorization
Image - Erase area
Save vector as - dolla.dxf

shubing

Post by shubing »

Thanks for the information about Wintopo. I gave it a try and it works pretty good.

aironeous
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: HAAS

Post by aironeous »

The problem with all the images you see on the internet (including any you scan unless you make it a pdf file) is that they are pixelated and blurry (just zoom in close and you will see) and cam software like cut2d and vcarve can't do anything with "fuzzy/blurry/pixelated."
They have to be converted to a radius, line, arc, etc. - something a cam program can understand and make tool paths out of.
Practice using black and white images from google search. Just type symbol or or anything else you can think of into google and search it. When the results come up click "images" at the top. When you see all the images click on "search tools" and then you will see a bunch of options below. Under the "any color" option there is a black and white choice.
Save the ones you like into a folder on your computer called images to vectorize. Sorting out any copyright issues is your responsibility but if it is just for practice and not for profit I don't see the harm.
--

Instructions for inkscape:
Get inkscape, it's free. It works on windows and linux and I think Mac. On linux it will also open eps files. You start a new letter sized project (8-1/2 x 11). File> new> letter
That will open a new inkscape window, close the inkscape window you were just using and open the new one full screen.
There will be a letter sized paper in the center.
Go to file> import> and then choose the picture you want to convert. It will ask you if you want to embed or link just click ok to embed. With the left mouse button grab the picture and move it over to the bottom left part of the letter sized paper. The picture has black arrows surrounding it letting you know it can be resized. Hold the ctrl button down and grab the upper right black arrow with your left mouse button and drag the picture down to resize it until it is about an inch (holding the ctrl button lets you resize it without it getting warped). Now use the mouse scroll wheel to move the picture to the center of the screen. The wheel will move it up and down unless you hold the control to make the wheel act as a zoom in/out.
Now use the mouse scroll wheel while holding the ctrl button down to zoom in to the picture. While you are at it zoom in really close and take a look at all that mess of pixels. See how noisy/messy it is? That's why you need to convert it. It's called tracing. You are tracing the noisy mess to get the best outlines that you can.
Now at the top of the screen - path> trace bitmap
That will open a pop up window for tracing. This window is for you to try various options to trace it and preview the result except the preview part does not really work. So just give up on the preview window because most of the time it will show a blank screen in the preview window after you change options and click update. Just click ok and the trace will appear on the screen in the main window right on top of the original image. Grab the trace with the left mouse button and move it to the left. If you don't like it then hit delete and try a another method of tracing. You will have to click back on the original image to select again before you try another trace because you were just handling the trace image when you moved it and it does not know you are selecting the original image for tracing unless you click back on it. Pick your new choices and click update and ok and another trace image will appear right on top of the original.

When you are satisfied with your trace image select the original image and hit delete. Then move the trace image to the left bottom corner of the paper. Now go file> Save as> and on the "save as type" at the bottom pick DXF. It will give you options before you save, pick the inches options.

Now you can open it up in cut2d or vcarvepro or mastercam or whatever. When you open it up in cut2d or vcarve it is going to be 1 thousands inches wide and it will be on your far right so you will have to zoom out like 10 times until you can see it and select it and shrink it down to size. The first thing you should do is see if there are any duplicate or open vectors.

Here is an example of a before and after black and white image I got off of google. Keep in mind I'm just a beginner at this so the quality is better using vcarve pro to convert it to vector.

Before
marfl2.jpg
After
marriage_symbol.dxf
(156.36 KiB) Downloaded 293 times