Any ShapeOko 2/GRBL Users? Need Postprocessor Help

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
kristenanne77
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShapeOko 2

Any ShapeOko 2/GRBL Users? Need Postprocessor Help

Post by kristenanne77 »

I have the stock ShapeOko 2 with the arduino/grblshield.
Going back and forth between Cut 2d and other software.

I am trying Cut 2d trial and having a problem with the post processrors. And the ones I got were from the inventables site that were supposed to be for this software (one for inches and one for mm). So the first trial sample of a wingspar was in inches and I used the inches postprocessor. I like the "centering idea" of this software and I moved the spindle position in center so I knew I would definitely have enough room for this job. I used the generic grbl controller. The controller showed a preview of the path with the same inch size and path that was shown in the cut2d software. No problem so far.

Didn't work. It went all the way to the side wall and I had to cut power. So it is not scaling correctly.
Unfortunately I couldn't change anything about the size or scaling as the sample only works "as is" and you cant modify it.
I suspect its the postprocessor.
So the question is, has anyone successfully used this software with the stock setup I have? (Arduino with Gshield/ and Grbl controllersoftware , using Windoz XP (bootcamped in macbook).
What postprocessor did you use? I would like to try it ( I really don't have time to try 100+ different postprocessors to see which one works)

Thanks
K

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Any ShapeOko 2/GRBL Users? Need Postprocessor Help

Post by Adrian »

Are you sure it's a scaling problem?

Looks to be a standard g-code controller from what I can see on the website. If the preview looked correct in both Cut2D and the controller software I would suspect a homing issue or similar rather than scaling.

You're using XY zero in the center of the material? Did you zero the machine there and verify that it had taken?

kristenanne77
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kristenanne77 »

I am really not sure if its a scaling problem. But i did center it on the board and zeroed the controller. There should have been about 5 inches clearance above and below the x and y which would be enough to do wingspar which should have went plus or minus 3 inches.

I tried using Easel (beta stage) which is an extremely simplistic draw , preview and run gcode right from the web.
If i had a 64 bit machine i would be able to do all three.
But since i have a 32 bit machine i could draw it and export the code to use with my grbl controller.
I made a 3 inch circle. Got the code. Set the origin to where i would have enough room (since it does not have a centering function), and it went through the motions just fine. It went about air milling a 3 inch circle. So ...still wondering what happenned with cutcd.
I could supply the code from cutcd if that would be of any help, but i am clueless, and since i am limited to the examples and cant tweak/change the program measurements to try and get an intuitive view of what it is doing, i really cant go any further with it. (But i know i will try because i would really like to get this program working properly)

Thanks for your help
K

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The code file you've generated from Cut2D would be useful.

You can change things like the origin, scale etc with the trial files and still output the code.

kristenanne77
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kristenanne77 »

Adrian wrote:You can change things like the origin, scale etc with the trial files and still output the code.
I don't think I can.

When I finished going through the wingspar tutorial it would not let me me save the file. I also tried adjusting the measurements whilegoing through the tutorial , which I guess is scaling, but would not let me save it.

It instead directed me to open the "premade" file of the same wingspar example and it would only print that (and again this could not be manipulated).
And the rest is history....

thanks
K

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Strange. I have the Cut2D trial and I can resize that file, change the origin and other manipulations and save it plus output code without problems.

To save the file you would need to save it an area such as your desktop or My Documents as the default location is a place where current versions of Windows don't like files to be saved so can produce errors.

Could you attach your generated toolpath file from Cut2D?

kristenanne77
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kristenanne77 »

I am looking at the gcode now. Ill bet it is about 700 lines. Do I need to post all the lines?

Thanks
K

kristenanne77
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kristenanne77 »

I will try "editing" it again, but I remember it would not let me save. I will post the error it gives me

Thanks
K

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

If you attach the actual gcode file using the upload attachment button that would be easiest.

EdwardP
Vectric Staff

Post by EdwardP »

Hi,

I'm using a shapeoko 1, with Grbl and GShield here at my desk. My *guess* would be that you perhaps haven't got the correct settings on the grbl itself before running the toolpath?

If you type in '$$' in your serial comms software (I use coolterm here) before sending your toolpath, then you should be able to verify that the settings match the ones suggested on the Shapeoko site: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... figuration

In particular, discrepancies in the $0, $1 & $2 values will have the apparent effect of scaling any output when you cut it.

I don't have access to Easel, but since it is only intended for use with a Shapeoko, I would expect that they explicitly set the Grbl up with the shapeoko-specific values for you before running a toolpath?

Also, as Adrian says, resizing or moving the origin of trial files is explicitly allowed and will not trigger the save disable; Adding, removing or editing the drawings will, however. I'm afraid you must be doing an additional, unintended, step here? My steps to resize are:

- Click 'Set Job Dimensions & Origin' under File Operations
- Set the job size and origin location you want to try
- Check the 'Center data in job' & 'Scale data with job'
- Click OK

- Double-click the existing 'Profile 1' toolpath in the toolpath list
- Click 'Calculate' to regenerate it from the newly scaled artwork
- Save the new toolpath using the the shapeoko post from the inventables site

I've just run through these steps myself with the Cut2D 1.5 Trial Edition to confirm that they do work. I hope that this helps to get you up and running.

E

kristenanne77
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kristenanne77 »

Thanks.
The resizing went without a hitch and I could save file. I will try this later on the machine.

Before running:
Do you think it would help if I loaded (but not run) the easel circle file and type in $$ and see what i get
and then load (but not run) the "rescaled" wingspar file , type in $$ and see what I get?
Or is the $$ setting specific only to the grbl controller and not the program files?

Another question:
I keep looking for a ruler, a grid or something that keeps my mind in perspective when viewing.
Are there any measurement tools or grids I can use to visually verify shapes?

Hopefully I will get back to machine later to try stuff. Fingers crossed.
Thanks
K

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Cut2D doesn't have a grid, ruler or guide system. VCarve and Aspire do.

The current position of the cursor in relation to the XY origin and the size of any selected vectors is displayed on the status bar at the bottom of the Cut2D window.

kristenanne77
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kristenanne77 »

This is more of a grbl controller question for anyone who knows about this.... But it relates to setting up the "initial height" to match the sample file.

When I set up the sample file in Cut2D, I set an initial Height of 1 inch over the material's z=0.
When putting the gcode file (using Shapeoko "inch" postprocessor) into "GRBLl controller" I first zero it out x,y and z and click "Zero position"
Now in order to start the job I have to raise the z above 0 by 1 inch. But the millimeter display (there is no inch display) is "grayed out" and the only jogging is done in what is called "steps".
So I stepped it up by 10 two times, then stepped it up by 1 five times and stepped it up by .1 four times which should give me 25.4 "steps".
Is this the same as 25.4 mm , which is an inch??
If not, how do I set z axis to be 25.4 mm above the z=0 to match the sample files initial z starting point? I have no visual indication as the display is "grayed out"

Thanks
K