Lithos Dazed and Confused

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
Biotech1

Lithos Dazed and Confused

Post by Biotech1 »

Hello people I'm lost I've been reading for 1 whole week. About lithos on what cutters to use, vbits some ballnose different sizes angles rough passes, no rough passes, rapids, no rapids angles, no angles Just looking for some good sound advise where to start I really would like to cut some lithos for my wife and kids but all this reading and stuff is over whelming. Not knowing what bit to get and corian suppliers. Just looking for some honest opinions and some sound advice.. :?:

Thank You

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

Re: Lithos Dazed and Confused

Post by NormanAlbert »

Hi: Get a 1/4 shank tapered 1/16th ball nose 4 flute solid carbide bit from "Bits & Bits"
If possible cut your corian in thickness to about 0.13 . Most of my work is under 6 inches wide so a double pass on my 3 inch capacity table saw works. Set the max cut depth to 0.09. Set the cutting angle to match the side of the picture that is lit. Step over should be around 0.10 % or less. I use 0.08%. With this bit you don't have to make a rough cut. I use a feed rate of 40 to 45 inches per minute. The z drive really dictates how fast your machine can go.
Check with local cabinets shops or counter top fabricators for scrap corian. Ice whites and off whites, don't use solid colores. The Illumination series of corian colors are also great but harder to find. You can order 1/2 inch x 4 inch x 4 inch samples for 2 bucks each. If you must use 1/4 inch thick corian, mill it thiner on your cnc with a 3/4 flat mill. it's much quicker than creating a rough cut to remove excess material. Hope this helps, don't hesitate to ask any questions. I dare say that we've all been there. Norm

MikeUSNRet
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Lithos Dazed and Confused

Post by MikeUSNRet »

Best method I have found so far:

1. Use Champagne or Bone White corian that is .25 thick
2. Load up PVC and Load Image
3. Set material Size to your desired width / height and set thickness to .25 and click Apply
4. Go into Cutting Paramaters and select a .031 ballnose
5. Set Carving Max Depth to .21
6. Line Spacing to 10%
7. Line Angle to 315
8. Invert Light / Dark Areas
9. Click Calculate
10. Preview and Save Toolpath
11. Chuck up a 30 deg vcarve bit
12. Set your X0, Y0 to the lower left corner and Z0 where the bit just touches the surface of your corian.
13. Run the code :)
STGC(SW/AW) M. Wenman USN Ret.
1982 - 2005