Also my first litho

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
Perry
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Modified Shopbot PRT96

Also my first litho

Post by Perry »

Here is my first attempt at a litho as well. Very impressed at the results. I was unable to find a cheap source of corian (though I am still looking), a recent trip through my local Home Depot in search of a translucent material, brought me to kitchen wares and the polyethylene<sp?> cutting boards. They are white, 0.500" thick and come in a couble of sizes. I milled mine down to 0.250" thick befor I even started. Rough cut with a 0.250" ballmill to a depth of 0.220" and did a finish pass with a 1/16" ball mill with a 15% stepover and cut to a depth of 0.245".
Attachments
woodwork 022_mod.jpg
Here is the litho mounted in the gift for my uncle.
(751.5 KiB) Downloaded 1285 times
woodwork 005.jpg
Here is a close up of the litho
(261.44 KiB) Downloaded 1313 times
peter_guille.mod1.jpg
Here is the original photo of my Uncle. It is approx 4.5x5.0"
(319.8 KiB) Downloaded 1178 times

Perry
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Perry »

Here is the rest of the gift. Due to light constraints, it is hard to get a photo of the litho and of the rest of the gift.
My uncle turn 65 recently and has never held a drivers licence, so I made him one complete with photo ID.
Attachments
woodwork 012.jpg
This is a picture of the back of the gift with the battery pack, switch and 6.0volt lightbulb.
(356.81 KiB) Downloaded 1072 times
woodwork 016_mod.jpg
(879.78 KiB) Downloaded 1122 times

Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Nice work Perry, I like the idea and the thought.

Bill

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Hey Perry,
Thats pretty neat 8) ....Nice layout and design....A big drivers license for your first one...I bet he enjoyed that :D

nice work with the litho.....welcome to the" litho cutting obsession group".

Chuck

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

HAHAHA so you made it Perry, fantastic! That came out really cool looking. I'm sure you're uncle will get a kick out of it.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Vert nice Perry, Welcome to the Club!! :lol:

Jason

Perry
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Perry »

Thanks for the positive responses guys. Having shown a few people this thread has lead to a few more inquiries ($$)
I really love this litho stuff. I also found out that the local dollar rama has got cutting boards for ... $1.00
Even more profit!!!

drodda

Post by drodda »

Perry,

Looks great. I like how you put together the package. Once you cut one your hooked. Keep up the great work and keep posting pictures.

Thanks,

Dave R.

melarky
Vectric Apprentice

Post by melarky »

Is there any trick to machining these cutting boards? Do you have any problem with melting, or do they machine nicely (I have tried machining plexi and it was a horrible mess, just wondering if I should expect the same from this material)?

Perry
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Perry »

Hi stewbidasso.
No cutting these boards is actually quite nice. I found a dollar store that offered 10x16x 0.175" for $1.99CDN. I use my vacuum table to hold them in place. The roughing bit (0.250" ballmill) produces chips at 2.5 ips and router spinning about 16000 rpm.
I really do like this medium to do this kind of work on. I recommend giving it a go.

melarky
Vectric Apprentice

Post by melarky »

Thanks for the info, I'll have to give this a try this weekend.

I love how we still call them dollar stores when they really don't have anything for just a dollar any more :)

What part of Ontario are you in (I didn't recognize the name). I used to live in Ottawa and Kanata and also all over Quebec (Montreal, Charney/Levi, Brossard, St. Lazar, etc... I also lived in Hull, about 5 minutes from King Edward Street for a few months too). I miss it, I went back with my wife in January for a vacation, it was great.

LTO

Post by LTO »

This is our first Litho, created for an auction benefitting a local childrens clinic. It will be interesting to see what kind of response it generates.

Question; How do you keep a piece of Glacier White Corian clean? Is there a protective coating we shoudl apply? Also a large piece of corian like this, (23 X30") seems rather fragile. I 'm considering how we can protect it, after all there's over 15 hours of machine time here.

I will post better pictures later.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Attachments
PICT0004.JPG
With flash
(501.46 KiB) Downloaded 990 times
PICT0003.JPG
Without flash
(379.92 KiB) Downloaded 1027 times

Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Hi,

That is an outstanding piece of work, Well done.

Bill

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Looks good. How about a piece of plexglass in front of it? You could build thick picture type frame to hold the corain and the plexglass in place.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

You can clean it with soap and water the same way you clean your counter in your kitchen....
I use dish soap and warm water...pat dry and keep it out of direct sunlight...
a frame will keep it straight but I have had a couple without a frame bow slightly...
I would never put anything in front of the image...to be able to feel a image is IMO the best thing about these...I encourage people to touch it....feel a picture gets alot of wows from folks

Chuck