new post of my most recent successes with photo Vcarve

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: new post of my most recent successes with photo Vcarve

Post by martin54 »

I save as a photoshop file and then save as a color BMP file. Apparently a bitmap will keep crisp edges and not soften them like Jpeg's, etc

Lionel, just for clarification both BMP & jpeg are bitmap formats. The difference between the 2 is how they compress a file, a jpeg gives a higher compression resulting in a much smaller file size, it does this by deleting a lot of the colour information which isn't really needed if you are viewing on a monitor.
BMP & Tiff retain a lot more of the original colour information but produce a much larger file, if you are enlarging prints then they are much better file formats to start out with, this is most likely the reason for the better results you see in PVC.
Tiff is another format that works very well for large format printing, as you still seem to be experimenting a bit then it might be worth trying a tiff file to see if you get any better results although looking at your pictures you may not see any difference at all :lol: :lol: :lol:

mikejohn
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeko

Post by mikejohn »

Lionel

Have you updated your settings since the last update? I want the latest update before I run the settings please :-)

Mike

dunndl
Model of CNC Machine: 3020

Post by dunndl »

Lionel....Absolutely BEAUTIFUL work....most folks have not idea of the complexity of a project like yours!!
Quick question...Are you using Mach 3 Controller or something else? I am having a hard time with Mach 3
and would love to find another software that might work better for me. Anyone having better success using
UNCCNC or WinPC-NC? Alot of my problems probably come from having a China 3020 machine!! I cannot get the settings
right using Mach 3. Help anyone?
Thanks!

mgauvin8810
Model of CNC Machine: E3 Bobs CNC

Post by mgauvin8810 »

Lionel wrote:max depth of 0.030", 5% line spacing, 0.125" ball nose, 24000rpm, 100"/min, 45deg cut angle with cross hatching selected. These are both 5x7 and take almost 2 hours each to cut
I see you say 5% line spacing, sorry I'm new, but in the software it has a slider for line spacing that is 100% to 200%. ?????

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

Hi there and welcome.
Just type in the desired step over.

AlanAndrews
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ELU860

Post by AlanAndrews »

First, I was not aware of the PhotoVcarve product, so am interested to learn and see more. A future purchase perhaps.

Secondly, when I look at the Vectric buy page, this is the description that is provided...."PhotoVCarve has been developed to allow CNC machines to carve and engrave using an expensive laser marking systems."

So is PhotoVcarve really for laser work?

I'm not sure about the reference to 'expensive laser marking systems' in the above description. Can someone expand on suitability please?