1st successful PVC carving

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
Dustmite
Model of CNC Machine: OmioCnc X6-2200L

1st successful PVC carving

Post by Dustmite »

Hey all! I'm new to the forums but have been lurking around them for weeks now reading every bit of advice I could gather from everyone here. Lots of helpful tips from you guys, and helped me pull off my first good PVC carving. The material is a small nightstand/table top made of pine, about 3" thick and about 14" x14". The carving is of Bob Marley, for a friends son who is going through a "Marley" phase in life ha-ha! Comments/opinions welcome please!

tonydude
Vectric Apprentice

Re: 1st successful PVC carving

Post by tonydude »

Nice! That came out good.

Tony

BArnold
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: SO2/XCarve hybrid w/NEMA23 on all axes

Post by BArnold »

Very nice! Please tell us your carving parameters. I'm still struggling with getting an acceptable final product.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Yes Gorgeous.

I would also like to know what you did to get there.

Also - how did you do the finishing - Stain?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Dustmite
Model of CNC Machine: OmioCnc X6-2200L

Post by Dustmite »

Used a 60degree 3/16 diameter engraving bit with .02 tip diameter. Depth was about .120 I believe and a stopover of .008. For the finish I simply wiped on some red mahagony stain and quickly wiped it back off, then began sanding. It took a few trys, I actually had to face the wood off a few times from not so good results. It was crappy pine and I first tried doing the traditional gapped lines cut shallow with a 60deg vbit and the result was lines of wood that simply disintegrated when I blew air on it. So I went with the full overlap to get the 3d effect. It doesn't help that the mill I was using at my work only goes up to 12k rpm.