Xmas decorations

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Re: Xmas decorations

Post by llwood »

large519 wrote:Using a 1 Ballnose, 1.5mm depth, 10% step over @ 33deg line angle. I use the same setting for all my pvc's, it can result in lengthy run times but well worth it for the end result.
Just got PhotoVCarve (today), so sorry for the stupid question, but what's a 1 Ballnose? It seems like other people know what this is, but I don't. To what does the 1 refer? Is it a 1mm ballnose, a 1/8" Ballnose, or does the 1 refer to the tool number in a tool database?

Also, how would one specify a 10% stepover? There's no way to specify stepover in the PVC tool database. And the line spacing setting goes from 100% to 200%.

I do see how to specify a 33 degree line angle, so I'm not completely clueless, but 1 out of 3....

Thanks,
--Andy

bill565
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: One of those "Practical"4x4s

Post by bill565 »

Andy,

I assume the 1 refers to a 1 mm as I usually see this from people out of the US.

As for the smaller than 100% step over, you can type directly into the value box and value desired. The slider does stop at 100%. I usually use 8% myself but it is dependent upon tooling and settings of course.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Save the Whales, Collect the Whole Set
http://www.bcnc-fab.com

llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Post by llwood »

Thanks, Bill. Yes, this does help! I didn't know you could type in values directly. Thanks.

Regarding a 1 mm ball nose, could someone please send a link to such a bit, either in metric or imperial units (it would be about 0.04"). I haven't seen one that small. Is this an engraving bit? I assume it would have to be a tapered ball nose to give it more strength. And sorry for the stupid questions.

Thanks,
--Andy

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

There's a company "Think & Tinker" at preciseBits.com that sells 1/64 or 1/32 (.0313) ball nose bits out of Colorado.

I have been buying them for years and it's a great company to find small bits. There fragile but I've only broken 1 in the last 5 years and that was a dumb mistake on my part.

Mark