Battery operated litho

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
pops1964
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot buddy bt 32

Battery operated litho

Post by pops1964 »

The litho could of been better , bad quality picture but this was about making them portable .I had a customer ask if I could make one battery operated for her to carry with her , so I ordered some led 20 lite strings they hold 3 AA battery's . These were bright white that's the yellow tint , switched to warm white and gives the white light needed. lights were only $6.00 a piece . at 1000bulbs .com Pop's :mrgreen:
Attachments
mmmmm.JPG
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Battery operated litho

Post by martin54 »

So is everything inside the frame Pops or is the battery box on the outside of the frame?
I experimented using battery power with edge lit acrylic so I had a sample I could easily transport & not have to ask for a socket to plug it into. Instead of using AA or AAA batteries mine was run off a single A23 battery which is 12v Worked OK but the battery didn't seem to last very long, be interesting to see how well this type lasts.

pops1964
Vectric Wizard

Post by pops1964 »

Martin , my litho box's are 3" deep and a 1/4" rabbit on the back to hold the 1/4" back panel . With these battery operated ones I shoot the picture frame pins around the edge . I fasten all the lights with zip strips to zip strip pads that are self adhesive with slots for the strips , then drill a hole for the on/off switch and hot glue that to the back . That way its all inside and only open to change battery's . They hold 3 AAA's no one has complained but they asked for.Only takes about 2 minutes to open change battery's and close back up. If you want I can post a picture so you can see . Pop's :mrgreen:
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

Pop's,

Would like to see your battery setup pics.

Tony
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

pops1964
Vectric Wizard

Post by pops1964 »

Martin , Tony here are the picts of the first one . After that it's like anything else you'll see were to make adjustments and tighten things up. The picture of the back with the hole is the slide on/off switch. I found the battery operated ones are mostly popular with seniors . I've done a few now were they keep with them . Pop's :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMAG0300.jpg
IMAG0304.jpg
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard

Post by tonydude919 »

I see you use a lot of Xmas lights on it. I only use led lights on mine with a switch in the back. Will have to post some pics this week when I have time.

Tony
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

pops1964
Vectric Wizard

Post by pops1964 »

Tony, I'd like to see pictures ,these are led Christmas lights ,20 on a string. I started these before I started working with led's . If your using strips how are you powering them for battery's. When I do electric I use cold cathode. Pop's
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard

Post by tonydude919 »

I use batteries or a power supply to the leds. I'm at work so I'll try to post later this week. This is what I've been using lately. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-12V-Car-48- ... 20ebdbd8f8

Tony

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Not how I would have imagined it would be Pops, thought you had used LED strip for these but I guess those work just as well. Like I said I haven't done any myself, just edge lit which are a bit different.

Tony, looked at those sorts of panels a while ago, how do you find they work out cost wise? Ones I had looked at all seemed to be a bit expensive but they may well have come down in price since I last looked.

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard

Post by tonydude919 »

Martin,

Don't use light panels just led lights. For lithophanes it cost me in material power supply, led lights etc...box and all the cost is about $25-35 total.

Tony

pops1964
Vectric Wizard

Post by pops1964 »

Tony have you ever used cold cathode's , they come in all different sizes . I use mostly 8" between lights and wall wart . switch it's about 11.00 . But now that I'am doing edge lit signs and have led's I want to try a strip . See how it looks and I see it being alot cheaper. If you would I'd like to see a pict of the inside of a box. Pop's
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Think you would need to experiment with them a bit to get things right Pops, you may find that a 3" deep box is not enough to prevent hot spots & would also mean you would need more tubes to ensure an even light distribution.

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard

Post by tonydude919 »

Here is the wiring of my led lights for lithophanes

Tony
Attachments
P7193404.JPG
P7193407.JPG

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard

Post by tonydude919 »

Here is the back panel and side view of box. The sides are 2-1/2" wide.

Tony
Attachments
back panel.jpg
side view.jpg
2.jpg

pops1964
Vectric Wizard

Post by pops1964 »

Tony , looks like a nice set up . I never realized how easy the led's were to work with until I did the edge lit signs. I'll have to try a litho . Thanks Pop's :mrgreen:
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32