Second 1st Lithopane

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
Swoody

Second 1st Lithopane

Post by Swoody »

As the subject says......this is the Second 1st Litho I have tried. These things are awsome. I took the liberty of using a mug shot of my 2 sons which was roughly 4 1/2 tall x 6 wide. I wanted to use the one of my wife in curlers but..........

The first attempt I made was to figure out 2 things:
(1) How to machine the 1/4" corian to the correct depths.
(2) How and what to light it with to house all the wiring and avoid hotspots.

The photos show what I came up with. The frame assembly is walnut and lighted with (2) 6" cold cathodes.
To avoid the roughing pass I first did a .08 deep pocket from the top of the material with a 1/4" endmill and vcarved the inner edges.
Next, re-zeroed from the top of the material and dropped the zero down .100 into the material. (Tony, it clicked that this was to insure material was being removed.) The max cut depth was set at .100 and I used a .040 flat Onsrud cutter with 15% line spacing set up to think it was a .040 ball end mill. At 100 inches per min it took a little over 2 hours to complete. I could have probably bumped the speed up but I lean more towards the conservative side and it gave me time to make the all frame pieces and have them ready for final fitting when it was finished cutting. The finished frame size is about 9 x 12 and about 3 1/2 deep.

Since making this one I went back and re-made the light box from the first one since I came up with what I liked. At first trying to house all the wiring and transformer for the cold cathode tubes was a challenge. I discovered you don't want anything inside the light box that will give off a reflection or create a hotspot. Its amazing what shows thru especially when you don't want it to show.

Thanks to all the people at Vectric......Looking forward to new the release of V-Carve,
Swoody.......

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Thats very nice. Congrats. :)

Why did you have to set it up to think the cutter was ball nosed?

Donmaceloco

Re: Second 1st Lithopane

Post by Donmaceloco »

Does Anybody by any chance has some DXF or CRV for this light box?