Photograph Carved in ColourRout

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Photograph Carved in ColourRout

Post by Tony Mac »

The picture below was carved into a 8.5" x 6" piece of ColourRout using a 60 degree engraving cutter. The job was cut on a Roland EGX 600 and took around 15 minutes to complete.

Very important to add that the top surface of the material was initially varnished, then cut and finally a dark Stain was applied and the excess wiped off the varnished surface. Creating a high level of contrast between the wooden top surface and the dark stained grooves.

The finished piece looks much better than it appears in the photo.

Tony
Attachments
Puppies.jpg
Permanent picture from a photograph!
(639.33 KiB) Downloaded 1672 times

hbhbbb

Post by hbhbbb »

Hi Tony, what is ColourRout and where can it be purchased ?
Thanks, Dean

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Dean,

ColourRout is an MDF base material that's supplied with either a thin wooden veneer on both sides or simply painted.

The veneer is approx 0.020" (0.5mm) thick and carving through this reveals the black base colur that works very well for both VCarving and the PhotoVCarve process.

The PhotoVCarved example below is cut into ColourRout - Black base material simply sprayed white, and gives excellent contrast and very visible results. This design is approximately 8" x 5" and cut in around 15 minutes.

It's made by a UK company Moran's Wood Components > http://www.moranswoodcomponents.co.uk

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Tony
Attachments
MarilynWithTitle (MedRes).JPG
(113.9 KiB) Downloaded 998 times

studysession
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by studysession »

I love the idea. For practice I have been cutting into MDF. I did one piece and decided my DIY CNC Machine needs tweaked. So rebuilt from ground up today and plan on doing more practice cuts tomorrow. I think I will put a coat of color paint on the MDF before I cut it to see how it comes out. love the idea Tony, THANKS!@

mark296
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mark296 »

What cutting prameters did he use?

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Peter Stenabaugh »

For you fellows that are trying to rout into mdf, if you want a more stable material, try coating the mdf with a layer of 'Min Wax wood hardener'. This material is a clear liquid that is designed to be used with rotting wood etc to stiffen it up. It will soak into the top layer of the wood, maybe about 1/8" or so and then it sets up a cures to a very hard surface.

This will allow your mdf to behave more like a hardwood, but still retain the fine grain.

This information is based soley on advice, I havent tried it myself, but it is reportedly a good alternative to having the mdf break up on you.

Pete