These are my pictures in wood

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
pops1964
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot buddy bt 32

Re: These are my pictures in wood

Post by pops1964 »

Hello, I'am really impressed with your work . I due 3-D , and a ton of 3-D carvings and have been asked to do one on wood for a memorial for my uncle could you pass along some tips ? Would be much appreciated . thank you
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32

pops1964
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot buddy bt 32

Post by pops1964 »

Markus and I do alot of lithos but need help with wood pvc
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Post by antennasDIY »

WoodArt wrote:It was a creative weekend :)

http://youtu.be/M2OX1qhBWVM

Take care
/Markus

I have a picture of my boy just like that and would love to cut it like you did. Any help with your settings??

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

antennasDIY wrote:
WoodArt wrote:It was a creative weekend :)

http://youtu.be/M2OX1qhBWVM

Take care
/Markus

I have a picture of my boy just like that and would love to cut it like you did. Any help with your settings??
Settings used are mentioned on the first page of the thread but it would appear to be the finishing technique Markus uses that gives such good results & unfortunately for us he has chosen to keep those to himself, cant say I blame him though.

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Post by antennasDIY »

Ok no sweat. I thought there might be more than that, as I did see something on the first pages.
Ok no problem, challenge accepted!! LOL..

MTSO
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: salecnc XJ1224

Post by MTSO »

Hi Markus
do you get any cupping, twisting or bowing of your material when you have finished carving on one side?.

regards

Brian

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

The guy hasn't posted in years and wasn't inclined to share much info when he did, think its a lost cause.

He appears to use a technique where he paints/stains the wood then sands off the high spots or maybe rubs it off before it dries, leaving the lower spots darker than the surrounding areas.
One of us will figure it out and share, I've done a lot of lithos but so far haven't set my sights on wood.
Doug

kristenanne77
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShapeOko 2

Post by kristenanne77 »

WoodArt wrote:I'm sorry i called them V-bit's :oops:
I use engraving tools with a flat tip of lets say 0.3mm

I then change the settings in the line spacing box so i get the "distance between lines" to approximatley the flat tip diameter. When i do this i remove the material.

Look at the screendump i have attached.

Any help?

/Markus
I also cannot get the width of the line spacing to be close to the width of the engraving tip.
I would think that no matter what size the engraving tip is, ...once it is inserted the width will get wider, because it has an angle.
The individual lines can only stay the same width if it was straight like an endmill. But the engraving bits , although flat on the bottom, start to widen as you go up from the tip.
So that part confuses me. Also the picture shows a side angle of 30 degrees, but you label it as 15 degrees.
Do you put in "incorrect values" to make the program get (close to) the result you want?

Another piece of the puzzle that I am trying to figure out is what setting you have for your rapid z movement. If it set at any distance above the z plane, it would not produce a smooth surface, as it would be floating over the surface at certain points (where you would normally have a rapid z movement). I can only see a "surface planning or skimming' happening if the z rapid movement was set to 0 so it would not float above the surface during this movement. You do some great stuff which I also would like to do ... just trying to put the pieces together.

Would appreciate any advice.
(my only other alternative would be to start dealing with other software programs which would convert the darkness of grey scale picture into a corresponding depth using a type of user defined "darkness to depth" scale to produce a sort of relief map for a photo. If I can do a good jod with this ... I will be very happy and can save up for a Vcarve instead!)

Thanks
K

JJWMACHINECO
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Re-worked/Modified K2CNC KG-3925

Post by JJWMACHINECO »

kristenanne77 wrote: (my only other alternative would be to start dealing with other software programs which would convert the darkness of grey scale picture into a corresponding depth using a type of user defined "darkness to depth" scale to produce a sort of relief map for a photo. If I can do a good jod with this ... I will be very happy and can save up for a Vcarve instead!)

Thanks
K
That's the same thing PhotoVcare does. It calculates depth of cut from 8bit grayscale. if it's a 24bit color image, it converts it to a 8bit grayscale image for it's calculations of the depth of cuts. It's no different then the other software your talking about.
Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

kristenanne77
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShapeOko 2

Post by kristenanne77 »

JJWMACHINECO wrote:
kristenanne77 wrote: (my only other alternative would be to start dealing with other software programs which would convert the darkness of grey scale picture into a corresponding depth using a type of user defined "darkness to depth" scale to produce a sort of relief map for a photo. If I can do a good jod with this ... I will be very happy and can save up for a Vcarve instead!)

Thanks
K
That's the same thing PhotoVcare does. It calculates depth of cut from 8bit grayscale. if it's a 24bit color image, it converts it to a 8bit grayscale image for it's calculations of the depth of cuts. It's no different then the other software your talking about.

That's good to know. Its gives me a better understanding of the software.
It still doesn't produce a continuous "top (lightest shade) to bottom (darkest shade) carving though, because of the pecking from the rapid z movement.
Perhaps setting my zero starting depth at about 0.5 mm deep (instead of zero) might help?
Now .... I guess its a bit of experimentation with different settings and bits.
I am going to try using engraving bits with a very small angle.
Any other tips to make it appear as a "smooth" carving " would be appreciated.

Thanks
K

JJWMACHINECO
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JJWMACHINECO »

The other software your talking about does not retract at the edges on each pass. It only reverses cutting directions until it's finished, then it retracts.

Good luck.
Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I haven't noticed mine retracting after each pass, must be something in your setup
Doug

JJWMACHINECO
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JJWMACHINECO »

Retract is "Rapid clearance gap" and it can not be set to a value less then .0001". That is from Z axis zero. It retracts there on the edges of every pass before reversing, in my experience with PVC.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Mine doesn't, it goes from 1 line to next cutting not retracting at all.
I'll scrutinize my next cut to be sure. The only time I recall Z lifting was/is when max depth per pass in tool properties is set lower than the thickness of material, then it would lift and do another pass on the same line. I found that unnecessary and just changed max depth to material thickness.
Doug

JJWMACHINECO
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JJWMACHINECO »

Look in the Gcode file for the G00 ZXXX and then the G01 linear moves afterwards at the edges where it reverses directions.