My first couple of photo cravings!

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
mdavies441

My first couple of photo cravings!

Post by mdavies441 »

I am very new at this but have learned a lot from reading posts on this site. Thanks to you all, you are great teachers!
Attachments
Cholie1.jpg
Mike1.jpg
Jenna1.jpg

sped1530
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: cast cnc joe 4x4

Re: My first couple of photo cravings!

Post by sped1530 »

Wow! That looks great. How you do it?

Dave

GaryR6
Vectric Wizard

Post by GaryR6 »

NICE touch

Mogal
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY CNC

Post by Mogal »

Very nice!

I too would like some details

mdavies441

Post by mdavies441 »

I use a 3/64 Ball nose bit with and adapter for my porter cable router.

I have attached a screen shot of the settings I use. I play a little with the line spacing (10 - 15 %) and sometimes with the contrast. The finishes is where it gets a little difficult. Lightly sand with a 220 grit sand paper. Then sand the raised areas of the craving with 400 grit sand paper. Stain piece leaving a little extra stain in the deeper areas. If the stain looks too dark after it starts to dry use a shop towel with a little Mineral Spirits and rub along the raised areas to remove some of the darkness. Let sit over night. Sand again with 400 grit sand paper. Stain again if needed and repeat sanding step. Blow off piece well to remove all saw dust. I top coat with spray lacquer. (I use the cans from Lowes either satin or semi gloss) Put on at lease two coats then lightly sand with 400 grit sand paper. Blow off piece well and follow up with two more coats. (Tip, to make the lacquer last longer, when finished each time, turn can upside down and spray.)

I have only had my machine since April 2011 and just started using photocarve a couple of months ago. So need less to say, I still have a lot to learn.
Attachments
PhotoCarveSetting.tif
(1019.11 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

xiguatou
Model of CNC Machine: SHARK HD5

Post by xiguatou »

:D I just started using PVC and want to thank you for the info. I found it very informative. I used ashes from my fireplace for my first "stain" and was surprised that it worked.
Slicric