RhinoART and Cut3D

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
lpcsales
Vectric Craftsman

RhinoART and Cut3D

Post by lpcsales »

I'm still experimenting with Cut3D - GREAT SOFTWARE - ...I haven't yet machined this, but I created this simple and quick molding sample using RhinoART and Rhino3D, exported the object as a 3DS file and brought into Cut3d. No problems experienced along the way. I can see this combination of software working together very well!
Attachments
Molding Preview.jpg
(123.23 KiB) Downloaded 1434 times
Dave
Epilog 24TT 40w and Legend 36EXT 75w Laser Engravers, Roland SP-300V, BabyLoc PR600 Embroidery Machine, Panther 24" Vinyl Cutter, Mighty Presses (hat & T-Shirt), PRT48 Router

Gene Rhodes

Post by Gene Rhodes »

What are the pro`s and con`s of rhino software? is there an extensive learning curve ? and what is the cost ?
I`m not sure of what software i need . i like the cut 3d and would love to do stuff like this on my bot. is there other software i could use for this that is more reasonable than rhino since i dont intend to build a precision spaceship or neuclear power device , i just want to carve 3D in wood..
Thanks Gene

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

I'm in the market for a new 3d graphics package. what are others using?
also learning curve, documentation, support and price are important.
Regards
Bart

Gene Rhodes wrote:What are the pro`s and con`s of rhino software? is there an extensive learning curve ? and what is the cost ?
I`m not sure of what software i need . i like the cut 3d and would love to do stuff like this on my bot. is there other software i could use for this that is more reasonable than rhino since i dont intend to build a precision spaceship or neuclear power device , i just want to carve 3D in wood..
Thanks Gene

lpcsales
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lpcsales »

Rhino is a 3D nurb modeling package...not a cad program and it does have a steep learning curve. I haven't even begun to learn how to model in it yet, but I didn't really get it for that purpose. RhinoArt and RhinoCAM are plugins for Rhino3D and together they give you some very good capabilities.

The cost? ...retail is about $2500.00 for the 3, but they do have specials off and on and you can get it much cheaper if you can wait for the specials.

Below is one I did this morning. It's 37" long and will be cut from a 2 x 8. I created the vector layout in Corel X3, exported as DXF , imported this into Rhino3D and used RhinoART to create the 3D reliefs from the vectors. Once this was done, I exported it out of Rhino3D as an STL file and then imported it into CUT3D to get the final rendering.

Until CUT3D showed up, I used RhinoCAM to generate the toolpaths for the final cutting for 3D reliefs...now it's CUT3D as it is SOooo much easier.
Attachments
CntrTopTrim.jpg
(73.82 KiB) Downloaded 1098 times
Dave
Epilog 24TT 40w and Legend 36EXT 75w Laser Engravers, Roland SP-300V, BabyLoc PR600 Embroidery Machine, Panther 24" Vinyl Cutter, Mighty Presses (hat & T-Shirt), PRT48 Router

Bowman

Post by Bowman »

I have played with Rhino and I think it is a great 3D app with lots of nice features. The learning curve is easier than AutoCAD and I like the way it can work with a lot of file formats. I want to say retail for just Rhino is around 8 bills but you might find it cheaper on sale at sometime. If your a student or know a student I think you can get it for 3 bills or so, definetely worth the money. I heard the RhinoCAM is nice as well but I saw somewhere it was costing more than Rhino itself.

There is also a free version of 3D Studio Max now called GMAX and someone has even written a code generator plugin for it. Just briefly checked it out but seemed cool, fairly steep learning curve I believe though. But the price is right! They even had some tutorials for using it when I downloaded it that may help.

This site has the download for GMAX scroll down and on the left side you will see the app and a list of all the different files they offer to go along with it.

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

I got the CNC plugin for GMAX from a yahoo group I belong to called CNC_Toolkit it was made by Rainnea the groups owner. He was giving it away free a while back but I guess he has proved it more now as I see now he charges $99 for it, it works with GMAX, 3DSM and Autodesk Viz and does 5-Axis. His site is located at..

http://www.rainnea.com/cnc.htm

But if you just wanted to do the 3D modeling in GMAX and import it to another CAM app for generating toolpaths and code this should work. Give it a try.

Good luck,

Bowman
When all else fails... use a bigger hammer!

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Hello.
Gmax does not save or export to a format that can be used with Cut3d so i can't see the use of it really.
Regards
Bart

Bowman wrote:I have played with Rhino and I think it is a great 3D app with lots of nice features. The learning curve is easier than AutoCAD and I like the way it can work with a lot of file formats. I want to say retail for just Rhino is around 8 bills but you might find it cheaper on sale at sometime. If your a student or know a student I think you can get it for 3 bills or so, definetely worth the money. I heard the RhinoCAM is nice as well but I saw somewhere it was costing more than Rhino itself.

There is also a free version of 3D Studio Max now called GMAX and someone has even written a code generator plugin for it. Just briefly checked it out but seemed cool, fairly steep learning curve I believe though. But the price is right! They even had some tutorials for using it when I downloaded it that may help.

This site has the download for GMAX scroll down and on the left side you will see the app and a list of all the different files they offer to go along with it.

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

I got the CNC plugin for GMAX from a yahoo group I belong to called CNC_Toolkit it was made by Rainnea the groups owner. He was giving it away free a while back but I guess he has proved it more now as I see now he charges $99 for it, it works with GMAX, 3DSM and Autodesk Viz and does 5-Axis. His site is located at..

http://www.rainnea.com/cnc.htm

But if you just wanted to do the 3D modeling in GMAX and import it to another CAM app for generating toolpaths and code this should work. Give it a try.

Good luck,

Bowman

Greasetattoo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greasetattoo »

I use AC3D. www.inivis.com
$69
GREAT and easy to use program, for modeling.
Great forums.
I bought it!
They have a 14 day demo!
Check it out!
G

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Cheers. Will look into it.
Greasetattoo wrote:I use AC3D. www.inivis.com
$69
GREAT and easy to use program, for modeling.
Great forums.
I bought it!
They have a 14 day demo!
Check it out!
G