A couple of quick projects

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
joenagel

Post by joenagel »

paul,

The cone and key where made using Rhino. I heard about Rhino from the Shopbot forum and downloaded the free trial software. It is a spline based program so you are basically working with wire frame shapes. By using the trial version I was able to work with it and find out if it fit my kind of work and work habits.

Rhino is great for basic geometry like spheres, cubes, cylinders etc. I also found the functions for revolve, extrude, lofting trimming, etc very easy to use. I also like the command line for quickly calling up functions instead of having to find an icon on the tool bar or going to the file menu every time.

I have also tried the free trial of Silo, this program is a polygon modeler and has a very short learning curve. It does not have as many tools as Rhino for creating shapes but works more like modeling with clay, you can select faces, edges or vertices and just pull them into the shape you want. The program is also a real bargain at around $100 .

I think the real key to a good software program is trying them out and finding one that fits your work style and the type of things you want to create. It’s just another tools and even though you can use a butter knife to drive in a screw, a screwdriver does a better job. It’s just a matter of finding the right tool.

Joe

tgm
Vectric Craftsman

Rhino 3D

Post by tgm »

Note that the above is slightly incorrect as to the functions and abilities of Rhino software. As it is a NURBS based modeling program, the most complex of 3D shapes can be ceated and manipulated, not just spheres and cylinders. For example, download the demo and draw a simple shpere. Turn control points on and you can now manipulate the surfaces any way you want and the resulant shape would make even the most studied mathematician cringe.
We have used Rhino for the last 4 years and it was one of the easiest programs for us to master after getting our feet wet. At the street price of $895 US +/- it is relatively inexpensive for what it can do when stacked up to programs of similar capability. It also has companion plug-ins, RhinoCAM and RhinoART so you never have to leave the design environment while working and processing your project for export to your CNC. Very neat!
And no I am not a Rhino dealer..........just a satisfied user of Rhino....Enroute Pro...VcarvePro...Photo Vcarve...3D Machinist...and Cut 3D. All in all avery powerful suite of design and programming software.
My hats off to all the guys at Vectric and VectorArt for all their great software and support via this forum'

Sorry for the rant....I just couldn't resist.......

Thanks guys,

Tom in PA

joenagel

Post by joenagel »

Hi tom,

I didn't mean to offend you with my brief description of the software I use. I was just stating my observations from a beginners point of view. Rhino has a lot of features that can build just about any shape imaginable. As soon as I learn them all I will start exploring them in further detail.

I'm not a seasoned professional in the 3D field so maybe I overstepped my bounds by making such a vague description of Rhino.

Joe

tgm
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tgm »

No apology required.
I was just expressing my opinion of the software as we use it in our day to day operations and how it can interrelate to VCarve etc.
Some people may take your comments to heart as being only for simple shape use and never explore the complete array that the program has to offer.

Again.....my $.02

Thanks,

Tom in PA

melarky
Vectric Apprentice

Post by melarky »

I have a friend that uses Swift3d (http://www.swift3d.com). He uses it to create 3D flash presentations, but it seems to be a pretty simple 3D program. Has anyone here had any experience with it, would that program work with Cut3D? I keep meaning to ask my friend what format the program saves as, and if it saved in a compatible format, it looks like it would be a really easy program to learn.