Just Some Pics & Framing

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
JDJones
Vectric Craftsman

Just Some Pics & Framing

Post by JDJones »

These designs are all from Vector Art 3D. I used Cut 3D for the 3D carvings and VCP for lettering.
I frame them with 'L' shaped wood I have the mill make for me to prevent cupping. The Last Supper and the Deer are made in red oak 1" & 1.5" thick. The Forest cut is in some purple heart wood I just had laying around. For size, the Last Supper is 24"x13.5" overall, the Deer is 19"x13.5" and the Forest is 12.5"x9.5". (The table they are sitting on has 6" tiles.) I do these for "fun" for myself and gifts for friends, even though I have sold a few. Price depended on how much I liked the person. :lol:

The pics do not do justice to the carvings. Blame that on me and my picture taking ability. James B. designs are all I cut and are the greatest, I just need someone else to take the pictures!
Attachments
LS-1.jpg
HDeer-1.jpg
Forest-2.jpg
eagle-r-2.jpg
James D. Jones

joecnc2006
Vectric Wizard

Re: Just Some Pics & Framing

Post by joecnc2006 »

They look great framed out like that. good idea.

Joe

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Have you had any of the frames come loose or miters open? Changes in humidity should cause your boards to grow quite a bit, which will, over time, break glue joints and open miters.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

James - great work on the carving, concept and finish. Normal request - can I post the images on our gallery (when I do an update) please?

Thanks,
James

JDJones
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JDJones »

JamesB wrote:James - great work on the carving, concept and finish. Normal request - can I post the images on our gallery (when I do an update) please?
James, you are welcome to use any of them.

I'll be going into the house we discusses earlier this year and taking the 'after' pics this week of all the trim. I'll try to get them posted by the end of the month. We used over 1000 pieces so far and havn't even started on the basement!
Last edited by JDJones on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James D. Jones

JDJones
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JDJones »

ger21 wrote:Have you had any of the frames come loose or miters open? Changes in humidity should cause your boards to grow quite a bit, which will, over time, break glue joints and open miters.
No, I've never had a problem. These would be hung indoors and normally not in areas of high humidity. On some I make the frame 1/4" deeper then the carving. Then add corner pieces that I glue in. (I'll try to remember to take a pic of one to add here.)

If you where framing one for outdoors, I'd use an exterior grade glue and seal the entire frame prior to sliding the sign / carving into it. And , if you have the tool, use pic framing nails around edges. Just guessing here, but if you made the frame 1/4 to 1/2 inch deeper then the sign, you could add a plywood or ? backer to the entire sign / carving then clamp & glue / nail / screw the entire assembly together for even greater strength.
James D. Jones

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

They look really great. I really like the finish with the two colours a lot. :)