My first Cut3D LeafBowl metal relief forming attempt.

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

My first Cut3D LeafBowl metal relief forming attempt.

Post by metalworkz »

I've been working on a burnishing tool for bas relief type metal working and just finished a test using the sample 3DLeafBowl from Cut3D tonight. I figured it probably should be posted in this forum as it was done with Cut3D. I cut the backing plate on some MDF and then clamped the .015" aluminum sheet over it. The aluminum was roughed out to .025" deep in 3 passes along the X axis and then 2 finishing passes(one at 45º and the other 135º) were done to a total depth of .035". This was basically just a test of the burnishing tool and what could be done with it. Take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas about the use of this tool. This picture is after the finish passes.
Attachments
_187BallTool.JPG
finish3DLeaf_187BallTool.JPG
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Re: My first Cut3D LeafBowl metal relief forming attempt.

Post by metalworkz »

Here is the backing board I used for the metal relief forming of the 3DLeafbowl. It is just some MDF scrap I had on hand.
Attachments
3DLeafBackboard.jpg
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:

JDJones
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JDJones »

Looks great - nice job!
James D. Jones

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

That's really special.

Gnarly Gnu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gnarly Gnu »

Good stuff Wes; I occasionally do some explosive forming on sheetmetal and sheet aluminium. Not very often unfortunately because the setup takes a while for a one-off and most customers down want to pay for it. Also my insurance company doesn't appreciate me doing this in my workshop! :roll: Yeah, I guess time for a new insurance company (if I can find one that is still solvent).

This would give you a fairly similar outcome via a very different mechanism. I use a very small and carefully regulated amount of high explosive, typically only 3 - 15 grams depending upon the sheet size and guage etc. Your technique would be a lot less hassle unless you need to run a few of these, of course.

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Thanks for the kind remarks. I think I would be more tempted to try doing some male/female die type forming with a 12 ton press etc before opting for the explosive techneque. I could even do some aluminum castings for a more permanent type of dies for soft copper forming etc. I am working on some designs for different varieties of metal working tools to use in the CNC router or mill to enable better flat bottom forming with quicker toolpaths and for V groove forming of text etc. Don't have the prototypes made yet but maybe I'll get one done this weekend.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines: